Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 & VMWare Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevoHC

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2010
US
Need some recommendations.

I'm planning on implementing a server solution for a client, and I want to take advantage of virtualization through VMWare Server, to take advantage of the ability to bacup the server very easily.

After buying a server with Windows 2003 or 2008 server, do I need to buy another license in order to setup my virtual file server on the same box? Should I use a cheaper, standard operating system like Windows XP on the actual server and run Win2003/08 on the virtual server to save costs?

Since this is my first live implementation of a virtual setup like this, any and ALL tips/advice are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you so much!

If you are providing a server solution for a client, why are you going with VMWare server under Windows and not just purchasing VMware ESX/ESXi v4 (Vsphere) proper. If it's a matter of cost you can just purchase the Essentials version at $495.

I'd go for the advice of itsp1965! Way less overhead then running VMWare server on a full-blown Windows install.

As I said, I'm pretty new to the world of virtualization. What would be the advantage/disadvantage to using VMWare ESX/ESXi v4 Essentials vs my suggestion?

Client is a small business, tight cashflow, so I am looking to be as economically efficient as possible w/ them.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

There are many reasons why you would choose one over the other. The most obvious ones are;

Like any application running on Windows servers, the application will be brought down as part of your Windows patching bringing down all your VMs in the process. Also if you have other apps on the same server as well an application crash, memory leak would necessitate a reboot as well. Since Windows is not secure on its own you would require an antivirus solution to protect it.. more overhead

The VMWare hypervisor installed on its own has low overhead, doesn't need to be patched as often as Windows, it's more secure as there are few services required to run on it unlike Windows.

Installing Vsphere4(ESX/ESXi) on the server is the best option, i guess this is called Baremetal installation. then on top of that you can install virtual machines

Thanks
kk

Thx for all of your help.

Totally see your point. Makes complete sense.

So another advantage is that I would not be wasting a Win2003 server license on the main server - that would just be hosting servers.

You guys recommend starting with brand new hardware and buying my Server OS afterward? Or buyin gthe server OS with the brand new hardware? (I.E. Building one from Dell)

First VM will be for minor file sharing and for ACT - so this kind of preperation is key for future expansion.

Buying a new hardware is the best choice.VMware also comes as embeded on the new hardware, but i never used it.
so buy a new hardware, get vmware esx or esxi 4.1, install it on the new hardware. and also you need to plan for Vcenter server to manage your ESX/ESXi servers.
if there is only one ESXi Server then i guess you use only Vsphere client. i am still learning vmware, i am in the middle of setting up a vm lab and experimenting,
Thanks
KK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back