Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000/XP Clients Can't Log On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank668

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
CA
Hi, I got a problem here... I had a Windows NT 4.0 domain (PDC and BDC workign correctly (Domain was TEXDURE)). We have upgraded the domain to a Windows 2000 Domain but the users are only able to log onto the old WinNT domain. What I have seen into the W2k config is that it's domain is "DU-RE.com". So it was changed during the update. Windows 2000 has been put OVER Windows NT 4.0. I have tried today to log on that Windows 2000 domain with a Windows XP Pro computer but it can't find the domain. A Windows 2000 Client gets that error: "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer account in it's primary domain is missing or he password on that account is incorrect." We have set the W2k to work in NATIVE mode but it didn't correct the problem.

If you have any ideas, thank you.

-Frank

is your sysvol shared ? type net share at the command prompt... look for sysvol...

We don't have a DNS server in our Domain.

-Frank

windows 2000 and ad require the use of dns. install dns and a forward lookup zone for your domain with the dns mmc. the wizard is pretty strait forward for this. if you use dhcp for ip addressing, pass the dns server address in the scope options. if static ip addressing, put the dns server (the dc address) in the dns tab.

scottie

Windows 2000 Server needs a DNS Server installed and running, this is a must. Without you can not work correctly. Please, install and configure the DNS Server before continuing.

Pino

I will install it. We need to work on that server tomorrow anyways...

Thanks, I'll keep a look on it.

-Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back