Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 VINES Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdonoghue

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
GB
I am trying to convince my bosses not to install the Win 2k VINES client when we roll out Windows 2000 as they only wish to include it to assist in user migration of data. If anyone has any experiences with this client, good or bad can you reply explaining your issues.

Thanks, Tony.

You might want to test the client. I have had problems with users trying to use their directories. Windows Explorer crashes with memory problems. Microsoft says the problem is Banyan's Windows 2000 client is corrupting the Windows Heap area of memory and my users hate me(or should I say Banyan) right now! Thoroughly test your clients with real user directories and other file services before rolling out to clients. It happens in every version of the client available.

Our company is currently running Banyan on 2000. Until we migrate all our small units to the new server. I managed to find a solution.

ec8642.exe, current drivers available out there. It seems to work fine and we tested it out on our remote areas. Though banyan support is gone... I was happy to say that the writers of the fixed help me out alot during the migration.

Check out the file on yahoo and see if it helps you all out.

* first of all:
1. install the protocol first than the client, else it
won't work.
2. To prevent 'hanging' while working on a network-directory
disable autoprotect from your virusscanner.
3. For the correct login when using loginscripts, login
using ban.exe instead of login.exe (loacted in the same
dir).
4. Or just change network protocol...like tcp/ip or ipx/spx.

Can anyone tell me how i can get this vines client for windows 2000. I can't find it on the internet.

Unless you have or had a support contract with Banyan/ePresence you can not get the Windows 2000 client.

I don't blame you for not wanting to install the client on a W2K server. If you need the Banyan Client for W2K I think I still have it. I can mail it to you for free as long as it is legal to do so. You can't buy anymore so I should be able to give it to you for free and still be legal.

Solutions:

First, you could install the Client on a NT 4.0 Server and still be part of your Active Directory domain if you have one in Native mode.

Second, install W2K on a server, make a full backup and store the backup in your desk draw. Now, install the Banyan client, migrate your data over under Banyan with ARLs to a seperate partition on that server. Figure out the NT permissions you want and set them. Next, have users try access the data under NT. If they can you are half-way home. Now, reboot the server and wipe the the system partition and leave the data there. You can wipe it using ERD command boot disk or reinstalling NT. Just reinstall W2K and do a full restore from the tape in your draw. As for the permissions, don't worry. As long as you used global groups/accounts they will still be there. You see, NT/W2K use NTFS which actually holds the permissions/SIDs even if you reinstall the OS. Now you have all of your data and all of the permissions and no signs of Banyan.

I have installed the vines win2k client, but the vines service which is installed will not start. The first of all the log entries is that it misses registry setting or dll files, but furtheron in the same message it sais it just can't find a vines server. The win98 and winnt4 computers in the same location (same subnet etc) are able to log in. Even win98 on the same computer and same network connection does not give any problems. It really seems to be a win2k problem. I did install the protocol first and then the client. Don't know what the problem is. Can anybody help?
Thanks ,
Dolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back