Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 upgrade pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dringer

MIS
Jul 16, 2003
US
I'm currently fixing a pc running win98, some of the system files .exe files, .dll files etc have been deleted from the windows folder I'm trying to extract all the relevant files from the win98 cd but its very awkward trying to work out what exactly was deleted.
I have a windows 2000 upgrade cd, if i install this will it install all the missing windows files???
Please Help

It will install windows 2000! If you just want to repair win98, have you tried running system file checker (run sfc)? This will check for removed, changed or corrupted system files and replace them with originals from the install disk (so you don't have to find them all yourself).

PS. win2k is in most respects much better o/s than 98 - so unless there are apps you need which won't run on 2k....
If you do install 2k, make sure its a clean install, not an upgrade (ie, back up your data, wipe the drive and then install 2k)

i have done this. but what about the .exe files.
thanx for help

system .exe files, sfc should find. What else are you missing? Sounds like you might be better off reinstalling 98 on top of itself.

is that just a case of putting in 98se cd and running it. Will i lose any data saved?
TANX

Its been a while since i did this - but pretty sure your data, apps & settings will be left intact. Not sure if best to start install in 98 (if it allows) or by booting from 98 install CD. Might be worth posting in 98 forum (forum615) & asking (more recent experience of this than me - think edfair will be able to answer you, and he's generally on the 98 forum quite a bit at the moment).

I've had trouble with 98 in the past. Don't know if this will help but if you go into the 98 CD in dos prompt, then into Tools, then into Sysrec you will find a file called Pcrestor.bat. Click on it and follow the instructions. It should restore most of your original settings 98 loaded at the beginnig without upsetting your programs too much. I did find it altered some tweaks I did but was able to re-do them. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back