Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 spoolsv.exe 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughessoft

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2000
GB
On startup in windows 2000 Pro i get the message spoolsv.exe error.

This has deleted all the printers and will not let me re add them. I have tried last know good, and manually starting and stopiing the event - no success.

Any ideas.

Neil Hughes

I tryed all the above without success.
I am running Windows 2000 SP3, Novell Client4.8 and Mcafee's virus scan 4.5. all this I belive is important to the error. I fixed my problem by replaceing the spoolsv.exe found in c:winnt\system32 with an older copy dated 8\2000 from a PC running Windows 2000 without any SPs.

We have installed Windows 2000 on our network. We also have Novell 4.11. We have a mix of 95/98 and Win 2K machines. I have begun to move the printers from Novell to one of our 2000 servers. As I have started to add users, I have begun to have problems with Spoolsv.exe. A user will not be able to print. When I check the server, SPOOLSV.EXE is using 50% of the processor and will not shut down. Only thing I can do is reboot. Printers are still installed on Novell during the migration. SP3 is on servers and workstations.

I didn't see this in any of the posts, but as a sidenote, you can stop the spooler service from the command line by typing: net stop spooler, then net start spooler to start it again.

I have just done a fresh install of win2k sp2. never been connected to a network and never been connected to the internet and the spoolsv.exe error has appeared. Could this be linked back to a boot virus?

Non of the tips above helped, but i have disabled spoolsv.exe and cpu isn't being gobbled up.

any ideas anyone?

I tired all the suggested fix.

1)Delete the regedit.
2)stop spoolsv.exe
3)Delete files located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS" folder.

All these fixes in XP arent working. Five users are having the same problems. very Frustrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Eva

Yeah baby, Yeah!

I deleted the Version-2 registry key (after exporting it of course), and all was well :-D

A few comments...

Although none of my printers vanished on the machine the printer is attached to, as some have mentioned, I did have to re-establish the connection to the share on other machines that print to it.

On this machine, there was a /Version-2 AND a /Version-3 registry key. I deleted only the /Version-2 key and took care of the problem. Could the root cause be that there were two versions? Did the others that this fix worked for have two versions as well, and it just wasn't clear to me? We didn't begin to see the problem until a workstation with /Version-3 ONLY started accessing the printer attached to the /Version-2 + /Version-3 machine, so perhaps that was a trigger for spoolsv.exe problems...?

In any case, well done AZeemeri and Tek-tips! This beats the hell out of MS KB ;-)

Thank you very much, AZeemeri !!! It worked fine!!!
Now, what can I install in replacement of Bitware? (I assume this was the one who made the crash)
I don't like the fax manager of W2k...

I think there is more than one issue regarding spoolsv.exe being addressed in this thread, and the apples are getting mixed up with the oranges :-D

Perhaps if we could all be sure to include some description of our original issue, it would all be clearer to the next member who looks to this thread for answers? Especially those folk like me who just posted to note that it was a helpful post LOL.

I'll start...

My issue was spoolsv.exe pegging cpu usage at 100% on a Win2K workstation whenever anyone on our Win2K network printed to the shared Lexmark printer. We saw no error messages, and spoolsv.exe did not start hogging cpu time until a print job was sent. The print job WOULD eventually complete (a good 30-40 minutes for a test page), but I don't know if spoolsv.exe would settle down after that... got the answer here before I got that far into diagnosis. As mentioned above, deleting the /Version-2 registry key fixed my problem.

Hope that clarifies things for someone! Thanks

Hi all,

I had the problem that Cheyenne Bitware 3.30 caused the SPOOLSV of Windows 2000 to crash, making printing impossible. This is due to a wrong registry entry. It's easily fixed: Start regedit and search for "Bitware Fax Driver". On my machine the crucial key was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2\Bitware Fax Driver. There is the Variable "Dependent Files". It starts with "=hex(7):42,...". Obviously this is not properly translated, so I renamed this Variable and created a new one of type Binary, naming it "Dependent Files". I then entered manually the Hex-Values that are given in the old variable (Which I recommend to copy into a text editor, otherwise it's difficult to copy them...). After that everything worked fine :)

Hauke

Come on people. I thought everyone already knew the truth about Microsoft. Spoolsrv.exe file is spyware factory installed by 'you know who' It scans your drive(that's why it uses so much CPU %) then it attempts to access the internet(firewall alert). Delete and goto the photomat to print your documents.BYE.

Hello everybody,
We used the regedit to delete the Version-2 driver and the spoolsv was working fine for a while. When we start adding printers to the desktop, we run into a limitation of numbers of printers. After 62 printers attached the problem start getting back to us. Spoolsv hangs, Word is no working at all. Looking at the registry activity , spoolsv.exe is looping through all the printers until we cancell the spoolsv or delete one printer.
Any idea?
Thanks Paula

I have a question for Hauke. I also have this problem with Bitware for Windows. I refer to your posting above. Please kindly advice how to "renamed this Variable and created a new one of type Binary, naming it "Dependent Files""? Please explain in detail. I have tried, but are unable to rename an existing variable and create a Binary one.

Hi TedGreen,

OK, i'll try to describe the procedure in detail. As I've a german Windows working on, you may find that the commands might be wrong translated, so in this case pick the closest match.

1.: Choose Start - Run command, enter regedit (not regedt32, which I had some problems with), klick OK. The registry editor should now show up.
2.: Locate the mentioned registry key in the left tree window and open it so that its contents is diplayed in the main window to the right
3.: Right-click on "Dependent Files". A menu pops up, choose "Rename" there. Type in a new name, e.g. "OldFiles" or so. Hit RETURN.
4.: Right-click somewhere in the empty space in the right window. In the pop-up window choose "New - Binary"
5.: The new Variable will show and you can enter a name immediately. Name it "Dependent Files".
6.: Double-click the Variable. A window shows up where you can enter the hex-values. Enter those from the old variable and click OK.

Thats it.

It might be worth a try if simply renaming the old Variable would already solve the problem.

Hope I could help.

Hauke

I got the spoolsv.exe error on about half of our PCs after we parallel installed Windows 2000 Server on our Domain Controller/File & Print Server. The Print Spooler service kept stopping on the client PCs when you tried to do anything to a printer. I just upgraded the relevant client PCs to Service Pack 4 and it seems to have done the trick without the need for any tricky Registry changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back