Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

icvanstra

Technical User
May 10, 2002
US
When you first create a new Windows 2000 Forest, the initial Windows 2000 Site that is created is called the "Default-First_Site-Name" within the Active Directory Sites and Services utility. As your network expands to include remote Sites across WAN link on different network segments, it is Microsoft's best practice to create Sites to control the intersite replication. I have created several Sites for different locations within my Forest. We have a primary parent domain (xyz.com) and a secondary child domain (123.xyz.com). There are two domain controllers in the 123.xyz.com child domain. The FQDN are denver.123.xyz.com and seatle.123.xyz.com. The two DC's are separated by two Sites: DenverSite and SeatleSite. The DC are physically residing in the Site location. I have created a Site Link connecting the two Sites. The third Site is the Parent primary domain. There are two DC's in the primary Site - call it NYSite. The QUESTION is: The third site was the site named "Default-First-Site-Name". I renamed the site according to Microsoft. The article I read said that it could leave the Site information (Default-First-Site-Name) in the Active Directory Integrated DNS sites. I have confirmed this to be true. The Default name exists in the child domains DNS, but it does not exist in the Primary's. Additionally, the renamed NY Site exist in the Parent, but not in the child. The Microsoft article said that I could just delete the erroneous Default Site name, but that scares the sh?t out of me. Has any one worked through this sort of issue? Thx for any help! :)

Create the new site and have it setup as you would like and make sure it replicates out as you would want/expect. Then delete the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back