Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 shutting down by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryam421

MIS
Apr 5, 2004
US
Hi,
I have a very starange problem. Every now and then it shutdown by itself. Don't know why. I am using windows 2000 advanced server. I have mirroring of 128gb harddrive, Pentium 4 2.4 gz.
The server is hooked up with ups as well. But not connect to serial port of server.
Please anyone who can put me in the right directions.
Thanks

Just out of curiosity, have you checked the log files for some kind of reference?

You probably already checked that, but if not check for viruses like sasser etc.

Look for McAfee stinger(as scanner) for example

bye,
busche

Hello,
I have seen this many times. Yes, if you can apply the update and load your antivirus software to scan and remove any virus in the system you should be okay.
Best of Luck.
Mkbell

Thanks for all your reply. I don't have any antivirus software running. But do have firewall. I guess I need to scan it with antivirus software.I am using norton firewall. Any sugestions for compatible antivirus software available in the market. I know Norton does but it cost $200 for servers.
Thanks

In general, a AntiVirus should be considered as a "must-have" in a corporate network. There are plenty of options to get infected even with a firewall installed.

Personally I would recommend Norton Corporate Edition, others might recommend McAfee, eTrust, Panda, Sofos etc., but hands off from free AntiVirus.

Meanwhile you might find help in Symantec's Online AntiVirus scanner....

Regarding your problem, if supported by your server, you might have installed some hardware monitoring software like i.e. HP's Insight Manager. If so, the system might have an optional setup to "restart" when examining a hardware failure.

Greetings
Markus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back