Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylva

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2002
US
To all:

Is there any way to get rid of the annoying "Configure your server" applet that relentlessly comes up at boot-up time?
In my installation, at least, there's no on/off check box on the window, so I cannot turn it off. I assume, there must be a possibility via the Registry, but I don't have any books to give me a legup about this.

Any info appreciated, thanks,

John

There was a Show at startup checkbox on ours. It was found in the bottom right side of the window.

Yep, I've seen it on some installations, but on others it was missing, not only on mine. This is why I posted the question here. I'd like to find out before re-installing.

John

I've never seen that check box missing. If it is, it may indicate a bad install, maybe missing a dll or registry setting. Boot to the W2K cd and choose "Repair" and see if this solves the problem. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

I'll do just that, and thanks.
John

Not a problem. Let us know how it works out. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Just click the finished button once the Configure your server dialog box comes up. If you ever need to use the dialog box later then you can go to Admin. tools and use it from there.

uctxs, I'd do that if there were a Finish button, but that's missing too. Glen may be right in that something was amiss at installation time. Thanks all for the input.

John

You can get rid of by editing a registry value,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome

Change srvwiz REG_DWORD to 0 it wont disable the Server Configuration Wizard when you log in now

hth Im the little person who likes to help..
Feel free to contact me..
the_wizard_king@hotmail.com
[ponder] [thumbsup2]

Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried them yet, however, Configure your server comes up because 2000 expects that a certain amount of its applets be configured. If this is not the case, it keeps on coming up. What I did, I configured what it thought was missing and, lo and behold, at next boot Configure your server had the missing check box on. So, I happily unchecked it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back