Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server with No Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgriot

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
US
We have a Windows 2000 server as our Citrix Platform it's a member server of a Windows NT Domain. After restarting the Server I can no longer log into the server. I get a blank blue screen with the cursor which works but no CTL ALT DEL.
I am able to browse this server from work stations in the domain. When I try to connect through Citrix I get the CTL ALT DEL yet when I enter a User Name and Password the screen
hangs and just sits there.

Any Ideas?

When the blue screen appear (the moment in the starting phase)? Nothing else written there?
Did you try safe mode? Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Since you can't logon, last known good configuration should work if it's not hardware. Goog luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

Thanks, Gia Betiu, The Blue screen happens after the complete start-up just when you normally see your CTL ALT DEL which never appears. I did try safe mode and all I get there is a black screen with the captions Safe Mode in all
four corners of the screen with no CTL ALT DEL logon as well.

Thanks, Glen,

I tried last Known Good Configuration as well without sucess.

This behaviour appear also when you are playing with partitions. Like Partition MAgic, Drive Image, Ghost...
I was looking some time ago on this problem, but I didn't allocate it too much time. Could be because the disk signature (that w2k is adding to the disk) is changed. This can happen if you are making an image and then you are trying to put it back (in w2k server).
If there is a way to solve it? No. I couldn't find. Just reinstall.
Another thing that you can do is to start in logged mode. Then you can see in the winnt\nbtlog.log where the starting is crashing. Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back