Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server VPN/Remote Access is not connecting through LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartleydavis

Technical User
Aug 16, 2003
US
When I setup a vpn server via the wizard on windows 2000 server, using all the defaults I cannot get a client to connect successfully to the server. This is the error I receive:
TCP/IP CP reported error 733: A connection to the remote computer could not be completed. You might need to adjust the protocos on this computer. For further assistance, click More Info or search Help and Support Center for this error number.

the Connection process goes through these steps, Connecting to the server, verifying username and password and then even registering on the network, however it gives me that error message, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I tried that, and it still has the same error message, but thanks for the help, ruling things out...

Lots of things can cause the 733 error. With all the numbers in the world, would have thought they could use a few more and be a little more specific.

Few common things about a 733. Always happens either after or at the very end (as in the case of the kb article above) of the initial tunnel negotiation.

You haven't said, but I get the feeling that you are using PPTP, so the discussion will continue from there. Tunnel control information (including the initial negotiation) is carried over TCP on port 1723 to the VPN server. That is getting through. Actual payload data is carried through on protocol 47 (GRE). If the GRE is not getting through either direction, you could see a 733.

Firewalls on both sides will need to allow protocol 47 (not port 47) through. Sometimes this is accomplished by enabling PPTP passthrough, particuarly on hardware based firewalls and NAT routers. Needs to be open on both ends.

Beyond that, I would turn on logging on the server side and take a look at that. Post back if you need to go that way, or if PPTP was the wrong guess.

I have a firewall but it's not between me (on the LAN) and the VPN server. I am using PPTP. It still gives me the 733 error using defaults on both sides of configuration. Again, thanks for your help, much appreciated....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back