Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server using DHCP and cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet7

Programmer
Jan 24, 2005
US
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could help with a problem I'm having. Our office is using Windows 2000 server and we have had a broadband connection to the internet (cable modem) which is shared amongst several computers in the office. Our office recently moved and I made the mistake of changing settings on the server to try and use a dialup connection till the cable was installed and ready to use. Bad mistake. Needless to say what I tried didn't work and now the cable internet access is ready and I can't figure out how to change back the settings to make it work with the cable modem again. The guy that originally set up the server to share the connection on Windows 2000 is not available to change the settings and so I'm trying to do it myself. I am unable to get get any webpages or ping anything when using DHCP through the server. Ok so far what I can tell you is that the cable modem is working as I connected a WinXP machine directly to the modem and set it to obtain and IP address automatically and that works.
Here's what I changed when I was trying to use dialup.
I dropped to a command prompt and put in
"route change 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 {the gateway assigned by our ISP using dialup}"
Then when I heard our cable was up and running I put in
"route change 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 {the gateway assigned by our ISP using cable modem}"
So after putting that in I got a message saying something like:
"Gateway not defined"
Can anyone tell me what I need to look for or do?
I restarted the DHCP server to no avail.
Please help!
Thanks!

First place to look is in the event logs, then contact your isp and make sure the gateway is correct. Try setting it up in windows and not in the dos box. Good luck.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

Our office recently moved and I made the mistake of changing settings on the server to try and use a dialup connection till the cable was installed and ready to use"

what settings were changed? the server is a DHCP server?
did someone set up RRAS on the server to provide NAT translation, or on another PC using the Internet Connectioon Sharing ...
What else is setup in the way of network services on your server(s)?

what are the IPs of your machines? if ICS is at fault, it will be issuing DHCP leases in the 192.168.0 range...

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

Thanks for your replies! Yes I am sure the gateway is correct because we have a static IP address for the office. I don't know how to access the route change parameters within Windows instead of DOS because I was just going by memory of how the guy who set it up originally did it.
The only settings that I changed was the "route change" thing that I mentioned along with a adding a dialup connection to "routing and remote access" and yes I think we are using Network address translation because the guy who set it up said to give people who need to access the net a static address of anywhere between 192.168.20.20 to 192.168.20.40 and let anyone else who is not supposed to have access get an IP automatically (which would be anything above 192.168.20.40) and thus they would only have access to the server but not internet access.
Our server NIC is set to an address of 192.168.20.1
Is the route change parameter that did correct or should it have worked? I restarted the DHCP server and thought about restarting the "routing and remote access server" but I was worried that the users currently on the network would get problems when I did it.
Thanks again for your help!

What i'd do is to reinitialise your RRAS server and reconfigure it via the assistant as a NAT.
the guy who set it up said to give people who need to access the net a static address of anywhere between 192.168.20.20 to 192.168.20.40 and let anyone else who is not supposed to have access get an IP automatically (which would be anything above 192.168.20.40) and thus they would only have access to the server but not internet access.
this doesn't make sense to me...
it's the gateway information that gives them access or not.

this RRAS server has an IP of 192.168.20.1, and it also has the cable modem connected to it?
if not, how is the cable modem connected to your LAN?

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

Hi David,
Would it be ok to reinitialize the RRAS server while people are using it? Would it cause them not to be able to save data while it's reinitializing? Should I have everyone log off before doing it? Here's the current setup:
Server connected to switch (in closet with patch panels), switch connected to all our other machines in addition to the cable modem. So everything passes through the switch before going to the server. The cable modem is not directly connected to the server, it goes through the switch first which is directly connected to the server. I'm not exactly sure what the guy did who set it up but that's what he told me before leaving. Sorry I don't know much more than that.
Thank you so much for helping!

they'll lose internet connnectivity (if they have it already..) and if the RRAS is also set up as a router between two subnets, that will also drop....

doesn't the cable modem do routing??

if so, use it as the gateway in DHCP!

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

Hey David,
The modem is a Terayon modem and doesn't appear to be able to do anything special because when we had problems getting a net connection a while back and I called tech support I asked if there was an IP I could ping to test the modem or get to a setup screen but they said no. They said there's no way to check to see if the modem is working other than the "cable" LED on the modem being lit. I think we'd have to get a router (like linksys) to be able to do the gateway with DHCP.
But still shouldn't I be able to at least get net access at the server itself even if it isn't doing the routing correctly?
Thanks!!

' The cable modem is not directly connected to the server, it goes through the switch first'..
it must have an IP address in this case!
and this means that your server, if it doesn't have this IP address as its gateway, no, you wont access the net.

if you cant find it, ping each live address on your subnet and eliminate all that are allocated to PCs...

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

Thanks david,
It's fixed now. The office manager had a network admin come in after I left work yesterday evening and correctly configured it. I was a little in over my head anyway so I'm glad someone else did it before I caused any damage! But thanks so much for your help!
Take care!

rty and find out what he did, it'll fill in a couple of blanks, and maybe next time if a pb occurs..... you'll be ready :)

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back