Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server Update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

benam5

MIS
Mar 8, 2004
US
Hi guys/gals,

Could you please tell me if updating Windows 2000 server is just like update Windows 2000? Do I have to backup or do any extra step? Thank you

Linh

Backup is always advised when applying untested hotfixes. However the update process works exactly the same in Windows 2000 Server as it does in Windows 2000 Professional.

I'd say the biggest area for concern is often the need to reboot after applying an update. Not a problem with a workstation but often requires scheduling with a server.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I know from what I experienced recently, that you ussually have an options to not reboot. If you choose this, you will eventually see eratic behavior from your server and will have to reboot. So, might as well schedule the install like previously suggested.

Thank you all for your posts. Could you please tell me how you consider full system backup? For my server, I use Veritas software to backup files. I backup Local harddrives, System State. What else do I have to do to have a full system backup? Thank you.

That would of course depend on what is running on the server. Does this have Exchange on it? How about SQL?

In general terms, if you are backing up the System State and all drives you should be OK, but Server Apps like SQL and Exchange need some extra love to ensure you can restore.

Regards,

Mark

I agree with Markdmac, If you are backing up your system state and all files on the server. You should be alright. I know in veritas you have to have agents to back up SQL databases and Exchange server. I hope that if you have those, you are going to back them up as well.

Well, there's exchange server on it but my veritas does not have Exchange Agent so, how do I fully back it up? Thanks

You have two choices. One is free but painful on restore. the other costs $ and is easy on the restore.

Free Solution:

Use NTBackup to backup the Information Store to a file. Then use Veritas to backup the NTBackup file. You then need to restore the entire message store in the event of a failure.

$ Solution:

Purchase the Exchange Agent for Backup Exec and use it to backup Exchange. This option gives you the ability to restore an individual mailbox which is a MUCH better solution. You can of course restore the entire message store too if needed.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back