Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server: Network Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerCop911

Programmer
Jul 30, 2003
CA
A friend of mine has purchased a copy of Win2000 STD Server, and he asked me a question about setting it up on his home network...and I didn't have the answer.

I dont know if he has bought CALs for it or not, but I'm sure he has...he knows the requirements for a server.

He has 3 computers linked inside his home to a router, which goes to a cable modem and out to the 'Net, all under one IP address. He is adding a second IP to his subscription, and wants to know how he can have the server computer behind the router, but with the SECOND external IP, while the rest of the computers are on the first IP.

Any Answers?

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Network/Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

he sure can. he'll have to set it up in his router, making sure the the new ip addy goes to the assigned network static ip of the server.

oh so does he have to add a new WAN or LAN address or something?? he told me he has an SMC BarricadeTURBO Wireless Router if that helps....

ComputerCop911

He said he looked in his router settings and cant find anything.

ComputerCop911

He said he looked in his router settings and cant find anything that can add a second IP address, i mean....

ComputerCop911

Also, he told me that the version that he bought comes with 5 CALs....if he is setting up a web server for a website, does he need a CAL for all the computers planning to connect???? Both of us are not sure on this whole CAL thing.....I've never worked with servers, and neither has he.

ComputerCop911

He is adding a second IP to his subscription, and wants to know how he can have the server computer behind the router, but with the SECOND external IP, while the rest of the computers are on the first IP.

oh so does he have to add a new WAN or LAN address or something??

It sounds like he already is getting a new address. Could you let us know what he is trying to do specifically?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Most SOHO routers (Linksys, Netgear, DLink, SMC ...) only allow 1 WAN IP. You would have to tell your friend to either get a different type of router (Cisco ... ) that can support multiple WAN IPs. Maybe "depending how you need inter access between the PCs", you can have a friend by another SOHO router and a switch. You can then connect the modem to one of the ports of the switch and have each of the two SOHO routers to the other ports. After that, each SOHO router would have their own IP. I haven't tried this but it should work. I use PIX firewalls which allows me to map different wan IPs to different internal PCs. They are however more on the expensive side (600$ canadian for a CISCO PIX 501 10-USERS)...

Well, thanks very much for the help. But before I pass this along to him, I would like to know...if he is setting up a web server, does he need CALs for the whole world to access the site, or does he need some other license or what? If he is using it as a domain inside his house he DOES need enough CALs, i presume....

So the question is, what does the need for CALs apply to?

ComputerCop911

Hi,
The 5 CALs he has apply to pcs accessing his server for applications. If he only has 3 pcs then he'll be fine. Its been suggested by others to turn licensing off completely;)
Its confusing "CALs and Licenses and such"

oh ok....so does anyone think that the "two routers into a switch" thing will work??

ComputerCop911

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back