Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpate

MIS
Aug 16, 2002
US
I have a Windows 2000 Server and I can't access any webpages or ping any addresses outside of the LAN. It was working fine two days ago and nothing has been changed since then. All the network settings are correct. I've rebooted the server thinking that might fix it, but it didn't help. All connections are good. This server is a domain controller and handles file and printer sharing as well as being a DNS server. None of the connected workstations are having problems accessing webpages or files and printers, so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue. I can't think of anything else. Any ideas? Thanks.

Just a thought: are you on a switch as opposed to a hub?
If you are, you could try rebooting the switch as this will store old mac address info etc about your servers NIC and does sometimes cause problems.

Sorry for the delay. I try not to work weekends.
There is not a . folder. The server doesn't make it past the firewall doing a tracert, but nothing on the firewall is blocking it's access. The server can ping all workstations on the LAN by IP and name. The firewall is a hardware firewall and can be pinged from the server.
We do use switches and I tried rebooting them all, but didn't appear to help any.
Thanks again for the suggestions. This one really has me stumped.

well if the packet doesnt pass the firewall, is not a server problem. I will go a look in the firewall, even if there is nothing blocking.Sometimes we think there is nothing, but just a small detail we didnt see can change a lot. CAn you just for a test, disable de firewall and then try or change the IP of the server for a momment (just to test)? Everything points that the problem(s) resides between the firewall and the router. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

I tried bypassing the firewall. Tracert just says request timed out when using a name or IP. Also, I restored a saved configuration file from a few months ago that has the correct settings to the firewall just to be sure about the settings. None of this helped either...

so you bypassed the firewall and still nothing?
You are not using IPsec right? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Can you ping the router from the outside? Have you checked with the ISP or line provider to see if the line is up?

can you ping the server from a workstation?
traceroute from a station to the server?

Just a wild guess.

does the netmask on the server and stations match and, are they on the same network.

Nope, not using IPsec.
Yes, I can ping the router from the outside. There's nothing wrong with the internet connection, because all the other servers and workstations are connecting just fine.
Yes, I can ping and tracert the server from any workstation and the netmask on servers and workstations is the same.

Where is the tracert stop when you do a "tracert" to for example from your server???

If it stop at the router, I would say look more into the router config.

If it couldn't even get to the router, there must be some issue with the IP settings on your server.

BTW, is your router also the internet gateway??

Are you running any Proxy server/Firewall in between??

Are you using a class C subnet?? Is the subnet mask 255.255.255.0???

jpate:

Have you tried giving the server one of the static IPs of a workstation that works? Maybe the IP was not provisioned correctly or something has happened to it.

I know a lot of you are gonna think this is crazy, but look for a duplicate IP address on another machine on your network. Yes, I know you should get warnings but just try it.

Good luck.

Your switch would happen to be a 3 com Barricade would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back