Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpate

MIS
Aug 16, 2002
US
I have a Windows 2000 Server and I can't access any webpages or ping any addresses outside of the LAN. It was working fine two days ago and nothing has been changed since then. All the network settings are correct. I've rebooted the server thinking that might fix it, but it didn't help. All connections are good. This server is a domain controller and handles file and printer sharing as well as being a DNS server. None of the connected workstations are having problems accessing webpages or files and printers, so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue. I can't think of anything else. Any ideas? Thanks.

Is your server using the same gateway as the workstations? Did you check IPconfig on your server and compared to the workstations?

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Yes, the server is using the same gateway as the workstations. The only difference in IPconfig settings is the IP address that each workstation or server is using.

did you check that connection (server/gateway) can you ping the gateway? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

I can ping the gateway from the server and all workstations. The server can't ping or tracert past the gateway, which made me think it was the gateway. I checked all the gateway settings, but nothing has changed.

restart the router/gateway A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Did you try and replace the nic? It might be going bad. I had a nic going bad on a server and it periodically wouldn't let my users logon to the domain. As it got worse, the users problems got worse. I finally opened performance monitor on the server, (After the users could log onto the domain during a reboot of the nasty server), and the outbound bad packets was unreal. Just a thought. If you've ruled out the improbable, look at the impossible. Sherlock Holmes. [pipe] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"A single stone can cause a building to collapse."
Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas (1580-1645); Spanish writer.

Try "ipconfig /renew" and then "ipconfig /flushdns" as sometime the ip settings get corrupt.

Alex

I might have missed it, but is it a fixed ip or from dhcp? Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]

The gateway was restarted, but that didn't change anything. I was sure the NIC was working okay since all the workstations are able to sign on and get files and use printers, but I switched it out and replaced it. The server is still unable to ping or resolve anything outside of our network. We use static IP addresses, so renewing won't do anything. I did the flushdns command, but that didn't help either. Thanks for the suggestions, and please keep them coming.

can you access the router, and see if any access lists is applying to your server? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

All outgoing traffic is allowed access , and incoming traffic is blocked. I think that's what you want, but if I misunderstood the question, please elaborate. Thanks.

nop, wasnt taht, if you can access the router, enter in admisnitartor mode and type show run (inc ase is a CISCo one) , so you can see the running configuration of the router..look for access list that could be blocking your server for going out. CAn anyone else in your network acccess the router? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Okay, the access list doesn't show the server being blocked. Sorry for my confusion previously.

nothing about the IP address of the server in access lists? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

No, nothing about the server's IP address. All traffic is routed through a firewall before reaching the router. The firewall is allowing all outbound traffic and blocking inbound traffic.

I have a Windows 2000 Server and I can't access any webpages or ping any addresses outside of the LAN. It was working fine two days ago and nothing has been changed since then is from your first post. Something had to change, it's just extremely hard to find the awnsers. Back to basics is what I do. Ping localhost. Ping your ip address. Route Print and make sure your gateway is correct. Just stay calm, take it one step at a time and verify everything from the ground up. Since it was working, it's doubtful that the . folder created itself. (Wouldn't hurt to look though.) Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]

Do you work on weekends?
just joking....
Does the server pass the firewall for sure?
The server can ping any workstation either by name or IP as long as they are inside the LAN , isnt it?
The firewall is a hardware firewall? Does it have Ip assigned? Can you ping the firewall (if it has IP)?

Do you work on weekends?
just joking....
Does the server pass the firewall for sure?
The server can ping any workstation either by name or IP as long as they are inside the LAN , isnt it?
The firewall is a hardware firewall? Does it have Ip assigned? Can you ping the firewall (if it has IP)? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back