Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 server install (domain Name rejection) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm in the middle of a a win 2000 reinstall, and is is asking me for the domain name, I have entered the domain name, and then it asks for a user name and password that will have administrative priviledges, I enter this, and then it says domain name incorrect or something to this effect and then I have to reenter it over again and then the same cycle occurs.

I assume this server isnt the domain controller!!!
But if you are trying to add this server as a member server to your exising domain, this is a common problem with all the Win2k Platforms. Select to use it on a workgroup. Then after setup has finished. Log on to the server as the local administrator then add the machine to the domain through system properties.

Your problem culd be that your win2000 computer doesn't have a routable ip to your server, meaning it can't communicate with it.
That is why it rejects the domain.
Make sure you have ip in the same range as the server
Serverip = 192.168.0.1
Yourip = 192.168.0.100 (ect.)
Also be sure you have the same subnet mask.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem here. If your looking for something and you can't find what your looking for, try searching where you think you won't find what your looking for.

The advice from SithlOrd and Kupo is good. Also make sure that your domain controller and dns server are working ok. make sure that your IP configs are ok and include the Dns server that is authoritive for the zone.(assuming it's W2k).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back