Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server Hangs at login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum818

Technical User
Jan 2, 2005
US
Hey guys, i am new to this forum, i heard it is very helpful.

I have a question about windows 2000 server. We recently moved to a new office and when i tried to login on the server i get a blue screen(NOT the blue screen of death) with a hour glass for ever. Its been 1 week and the hour glass wont go away, but all the shared drives work fine and we can access the server via my network places. But the printers that are connected to the server wont print. I did a hard restart and tried again and if it does loging fine we cant access the resoucres. I cant figure it out. There is no rhyme or reason when i restart if it is going to be succseefull or not. When it logins in fine we cant access the resoucers, but when it hangs with an hour glass it seems to be fine. Please help!

Does event viewer not give anything useful/different between sucussful and unsucessful logon attempts?

On the server itself, can you see icons, Taskbar etc or just a blue screen that has not finished logging on? It sounds like it may have worked before you moved it. Have you tried bootup to safe mode with and without networking? Have your tried booting up with the ethernet card unplugged. Might start there to narrow down your problem and give these great guys(who are way ahead of me) that visit this site some more info. Have you tried to ping to the server or away from it?

Wow guys that was quick, i like this forum already. :) I can ping it or away from it only when the loging "fails", the event viewer doesnt show anything "useful" either. It did work perfectly before we moved, i cant figure out WTF happened, any more ideas guys?

So let me get this straight. The server login never finishes and the clock never stops. Is that part correct? Have you tried logging in in safe mode? Have you tried logging in with the ethernet cord unplugged?

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" at startup? Personally, I'm leaning toward ftoddt's idea about the nic. The next time you can get into it, (When it fails), check to see if it's sending or recieving bad packets. Had a problem with users who couldn't log onto the domain shortly after adding a brand new server to the setup. Figured out whenever the new server was off line, users could log onto the domain. New server had bad nic, sending out bad packets. Since you moved only, and didn't add any new software or anything, wiring is the first place I'd start. If wiring is good, last known good would be my next step. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

It doesnt matter if i try last known good config, becuase sometimes that doesnt work, just the same way that sometimes the normal mode works and doesnt work. i tried ungluging the NIC i dont think it has to do anything with the NIC or network for that matter, i really think its a OS problem, u guys think i should reinstall?

You should be able to do a repair when you put the disk in. Might be less painful than wiping everything, then re-installing. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

Considering you've moved it, have you looked into the possibility that it could be a hardware problem?

Has the server ever worked since you moved to the new office?

meastaugh1 has a good point. Since it works sometimes, and sometimes doesn't, I would shut it down, unplug it, open it up and make sure everything is plugged in good and tight. Might be a slightly loose connection.

Glen A. Johnson

Alright guys thanx for all your help, i finally got p*ssed off and saved the data and formatted and installed windows 2003 standard and everything works fine now. I am sorry i couldnt "figure" out the problem, but a solved problem is not a problem, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back