Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server DNS Error Please HELP!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demtro

MIS
Jul 10, 2002
US
I am running a Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory. The Domain name is ourfamilygenealogy.org which I own. The domain name is currently not being hosted anywhere but it is being parked with godaddy. My current internet connection is a Wireless Cablemodem Router by Netgear. It acts as a router/firewall and offers wireless. When I loaded Active Directory and It setup DNS for me I started getting the following errors when I boot up in Event viewer.

Registration of the DNS record '_kpasswd._udp.ourfamilygenealogy.org. 600 IN SRV 0 100 464 server-dc1.ourfamilygenealogy.org.' failed with the following error:
DNS name does not exist.

Registration of the DNS record '_kpasswd._tcp.ourfamilygenealogy.org. 600 IN SRV 0 100 464 server-dc1.ourfamilygenealogy.org.' failed with the following error:
DNS name does not exist.

Registration of the DNS record '_kerberos._udp.ourfamilygenealogy.org. 600 IN SRV 0 100 88 server-dc1.ourfamilygenealogy.org.' failed with the following error:
DNS name does not exist.

Registration of the DNS record '_gc._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.ourfamilygenealogy.org. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 server-dc1.ourfamilygenealogy.org.' failed with the following error:
DNS name does not exist.

Registration of the DNS record '_gc._tcp.ourfamilygenealogy.org. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 server-dc1.ourfamilygenealogy.org.' failed with the following error:
DNS name does not exist.

Registration of the DNS record '_kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.ourfamilygenealogy.org. 600 IN SRV 0 100 88 server-dc1.ourfamilygenealogy.org.' failed with the following error:
DNS name does not exist.

Can somebody please help me. If i need to add something to my local DNS to fix the problem I would be happy to. I am not that great with DNS and am not able to resolve the problem myself. I do not want to have to pay to host the DNS somewhere. Let me know if there is something I can do to fix this locally. Thanks for all the help everybody.

whats is your forest root domain for AD? did you make it the same as your external DNS name (as in company.org)?

The ACtive Directory Domain is ourfamilygenealogy.org

I guess what my question is. Can i just add something to my internal domain to make these errors go away. I do not plan on hosting the website anywhere except on my local machine. So what can I do locally to stop the errors.

thans

Well you can host DNS free at zonedit.com. YOu can ofcourse also do it at your machine with Win2K server. However you need a static IP. Do you have a static IP. If you dont you can still do it with dynamic but that dynamic IP changes from time to time so it is a little inconvenient. Better you register free with zoneedit.com and use that as your DNS.
This is what you do.
1) Register at zoneedit.com. They will provide you with Primary DNS name and address for eg ns1.zoneedit.com or IP address xx.xx.xx.xx.
2) Go to the registrar that you have registered your domain with and put xx.xx.xx.xx as your primary DNS(you can also put the name ns1.zoneedit.com etc).
3) Finally go to zoneedit.com and set your DNS records to point to your machine static or dynamic IP.

1. should have at least two DNS servers, one for the outside and one for the inside for security reasons
2. the external DNS should run standard primary zone for your ourfamilygeneology.org domain
3. the internal DNS should be made a child domain of your external domain (again for security), and configured to eitehr be an authroritive root server and adjusting the root hints file to point to the other DNS server for recursion, or the easier way, just enable forwarders to your outside DNS server. this way, all clients will attempt to use your internal DNS server for resolution, and if that can't solve it, it will only pass it too the external DNS server for resolution, and if the external can't solve it, it should be configured to forward to a DNS zone on the internet (your ISP)
3. The above mentioned suggestion from Viekmere is also a good idea, and then you could just keep a child domain there, or change the registrar records with your current ISP to point to your statically assigned IP on your external DNS server.

Really what it looksl ike though, is that DNS is ocnfigured incorrectly on your server, since it's saying the DNS name does not exist. Have you built a zone on your DNS server for this domain name? im guessin you have but worth a shot

Sounds like you may not be pointing your network connection back at itself for DNS, which would allow proper registration on the local DNS server. Make sure your network connection is configured to point to itself for DNS (don't use loopback, use the static IP assigned to the server).

Afterwards, make sure that your local DNS server has recursive configured so as to be able to resolve other domains. May also be able to do this by forwarding all requests, but this may lose the local resolution, not 100% sure.

If dcpromo set up DNS for you, then the zone should already exist. If not create it as AD-integrated.

"Zonedit" doesn't make sense - these are dynamic dns registration errors, not name resolution errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back