Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server disk size limitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyess

MIS
Sep 18, 2005
US
I just built a new Windows 2000 Server and cannot get the hard drives recognized correctly in Windows. I put 3 SATA 250G drives in for an array, BIOS recognizes them correctly, but Windows says they are 128GB.

Any ideas out there?

I don't want to try building the array until I get them correctly recognized by Windows.

Mickeyess

What make and model are the disks? Windows can recognise massive volumes (up to 16 exabytes in theory) so i can't see that being the problem.

They are Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM - ST3250823AS

Mickeyess

Hey porkchopexpress

I went to the Seagate site and they have a utility to set these larger drives up. They make a registry change, reboot the system and then they have a format utility. I skipped the format utility because I am going to try and set up the RAID array now.

I'll look for the registry entry too.

Mickeyess

Mickeyess

Sounds like the array may not be setup correctly. If you go into your array manager, do you see the space there? What type of array are you using (0,1,5)?

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

(I do what I can with what I know)

I had not yet set up the array. Now that the drives are seen by the OS correctly I will setup the array. I an setting up RAID 5, 3X250GB, room for a 4th.

Mickeyess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back