Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server DHCP setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronJ1227

Technical User
May 28, 2002
US
I am attempting to setup a small home network to share a cable modem internet connection. The system that I am using to share the connection has Windows 2000 Server and the other 3 systems have Windows 2000 Professional. When I first setup the DHCP on the server, it assigned an IP address to one of my system but would not assign one to any of the others. If I attempted to renew the IP address on the system that did get an address, the system would no longer be able to get an IP. I then formatted the server and re-installed the server OS but came across the same problem after setting up the DHCP. Has anybody come across this issue?

If you're running Active Directory, did you authorize the DHCP server? If you assign IPs, are you able to ping across your network? Marc Creviere

I have not installed active directory. I don't believe my network is large enough to necesitate active directory. I am able to ping all of the other systems if IP addresses are manually assigned.

Have you set up the scope and then authorized DHCP? Even when not running AD you must set up a scope of addresses for DHCP so it has a pool of addresses to hand out. DHCP also has to be authorized or it cant hand out the addresses.
Are all machines in the same workgroup?

I have set up a scope of address' and the scope is showing as active. As mentioned before, the server gave out one address when it was first setup, but it will not give out any others and if I release and renew the IP on the client, the client is unable to re-obtain the address.

Try setting a default gateway pointing to the server.
A route print on the clients will show if they in fact have a route to the server.
It could be that the NIC is only communicating with the cable modem.
Do you have a multi-homed setup?
Are you using NAT?

Aaron,

Can you give a good description of how your DHCP Server is setup. What options you have set, your IP Address scope and list how you have your clients TCP/IP settings defined.

Yes, NAT is setup on the system, it was automatically setup when internet sharing was enabled. From my current understanding of a multi-homed system, that being a system using multiple subnets, yes I do have one.

Server Setup
Scope is 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.15
The scope is set as active
IP address is 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Client Setup
To test the ability to ping, I can munually set the IP's to one within the scopes range. The subnet is set the same as the server.
To Test the servers DHCP ability, I set the clients to automatically obtian the IP address and subnet mask from the server.

Do you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled? Just curious.

If not receiving an IP address then it almost gets to connectivity problems. If the servers NIC's are working then check cables and HUB.Also in the advanced settings of the clients NIC card set the media type from auto to either 10MB fulll duplex or 100MB full duplex. If the hub is a 10/100 you should be able to get 100mb if not set as 10. The auto setting does not always work.
As for multi-homed it usually means having more than 1 NIC card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back