Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server as a router??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev01

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a small home network ( a domain with 1 server and 3 clients) and I was wondering how to best secure my home network. I am currently sharing the Internet with a NAT software (Sygate Home network).

I was told that I should use a Router to secure my home network from the outside.

I think that W2K server can be used as a router...So, is it ok to use W2K svr as a router to secure my home network? Or is there a better solution available??

Also, what is the difference between a router and a gateway?

Thanks in advance,
Kev

A gateway is your connection to the outside world, typically a hardware router, but in your case probably whichever machine is running the NAT software.
I would recommend a hardware router instead of a machine doing the routing. That is solely what a router is designed for, where a pc was can do it, but was not designed to...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

You could always set up a box with routing software on it. Then you could not only run it as a router, but if you so desired you could use some of the firewalling features as well. Take a look at Freesco, its one of several programs that comes to mind.

Thanks for your reply.

What are the advantages of hardware routers over software routers (like W2K svr)?

Also, can any machine on the network run the NAT software? or does it preferably have to be the server?

Thanks in advance,
Kev

Routers are specifically made for Routing. PC's running software are not. If a PC running any routing software was as good as a hardware router, Cisco would go out of business. Think of it this way. You have a Hot Rod Camaro, beefed up for racing. You pull up at a red light next to a Drag Racing Car. What do you think? You made one able to race, the other was made for racing.

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Hey Kev01

there are advantages/disadvantages for using hardware or software routers. If you have a few dollars, i'd use a hardware router, it lets the server do what its suppposed to do and doesn't use up processing time with stuff that can be done by a hardware router. Any machine on the network can run the NAT... essentially NAT is simply setting your clients up with a default gateway. ex. your software/hardware router becomes a NAT server for internet clients.

I dont know if i added anything to this question but i figured i'd put in my opinion hehe cheers!

We all know about the "stupid user" don't we... :)

Yes, use the hardware router. When your address gets scanned (and it will at least 100 times a day, check your logs), you want your router scanned. If someone gets a hold of your router, the worst you have to do is reset it, and reinput your settings. If they get a hold of a computer, they can install all kinds of tools to not only screw with you, but use your machine to attack others (which you could be held liable for). If you absolutely must use a pc, load it with FreeBSD or Linux, something more secure than MS.

Matt

Thanks,

Can anyone suggest me an affordable router for my home network?

thanks in advance

The routers like mentioned above linksys,netgear etc, they are getting easier to use... much easier to setup than a sofware router(depending on what you want it to do). they have Web based configurations to them and is worth the $$.

Nuqe

Besides just considering a router, also look into blocking ports you don't want open to the outside. 2k provides good ip filtering capability. Blocking ip ports is considered a firewall but I wouldn't stop there. Firewall sofware that filters by application provides added protection. Read the following article at to see some results on firewall testing.

If I have a Router with firewall capabilities, do I still need to install desktop/personal firewalls on each client of my network?

Thanks in advance,
kev

No, not unless you're a very high secure enviornment... Sounds like a basic home setup to me...

Matt

the firewall stops punks trying to hack, but it doesn't stop infected files... so even though a firewall protects you from external attacks, it doesn't stop you from getting a virus, so whether you put a virus scanner on your server, or on your clients that's up to you.

NUQE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back