Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server and XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisoo22

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello all,

This is probably a problem with a simple answer. I have a small business network going with several computers running Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro and a single 2000 Server. All are networked with static IP addresses and standard file and printer sharing. The problem is, the hard drive on the server is set to be shared on the network, but none of the XP Pro computers can see it under "My Network Places" or it asks for a username and pass word, though the 2000 Pro computers have no problem. Is there a security or permissions setting I have to tweak to make it seen to all computers? I didn't set any permissions on the shared hard drive to begin with.

Thanks,
Jisoo22

Be carefull on what hard drive you are sharing, and what permissions you give. MAybe could be a better idea to share a folder on that hard drive, than sharing the hard drive.
On the server, right click the hard drive o folder, go to its properties. Ou will find two tabs, sharing and security.ON sharing ,share the folder with the default name if you want, and check for permissions, you can give everyone full control (it should be for default). Go to security, and then you can add everyone with Read permission, or any other permissions if you need so. The most restrictive permissions between the two (Sharing and Security), will be effective to that Group/User.You can use other groups also instead of Everyone, it depends on your needs. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Thanks, I'll double-check for that. If everything checks out and XP Pro still can't see the server hard drive, are there any known issues with that?

Thanks,
Jisoo22

1)Are those XP computers joined into the domain?
2)Did you check also the IP information?
If this is done already, it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm sorry if you said with windows 2000 there is no problem accesing the drive, then there is no problem with the rights.Check 1 and 2 if this is teh case A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. are all the machines in the same workgroup. (I am assumming that since it is a very small network that you have not set up a domain.)
2. Are all the computers running NetBEUI in addition to TCP/IP. You need someshing on a small network to provide hostnames and NetBEUI is an easy way to do that.

Can the xp machines ping the server? If not, try an entry in there hosts and lmhost files. It shouldn't be needed, but XP can be quirky. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

It seems as though there is a problem with the network set up on the XP pro machines, you might wanna try re adding them to the domain, theres nothing untoward with the 2k server thats working fine, I had a similar problem connecting them up with an NT4 Domain a while back.

Marie

Hello all,

The small network is indeed workgroup-based. Each computer has their own network ID and in the same workgroup name. I'm using strictly TCP/IP (with netbios enabled) and file and printer sharing. I'll trying these great suggestions you gave me and I will let you all know what I find come Monday or Tuesday. Thanks again for all the help!

Jisoo22

Hello all,

I've tried everything I could think of. I re-added the XP Pro machines to the workgroup, no dice. I can ping the server from each of the XP Pro machines though, and they can see the 2000 PRO machines' shared folders on the network which seems really weird to me. Does anyone think changing it from a workgroup-based network to a domain-based network could fix this? I'm not sure if XP has any issues with being in a Workgroup with more then 5 computers, I know the Home Edition is supposed to have that problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jisoo22

GlenJohnson,

How do I use an LMHOST? I know how to get to that function under the network connections properties, but I don't know what it does.

Thanks,
Jisoo22

Here's another weird and interesting twist...of the three Windows XP Pro computers on the 2000 Server network, on two of them I was able to find the shared server hard drive by right-clicking "My Network Places" and searching for a computer. Strangely enough, it found the server computer that way and I was able to make a short-cut to it on their desktops. Of course, it asked for a username and password (which was the administrator's). So now two XP computers can get into the server hard drive via a backwards way of going about it. The third one is stranger, it also found the server, but did not ask for any username/password and when opened up, there is nothing inside the server folder. Can anyone tell me what's going on? I'm wondering why the server won't come up with the other networked computers in "My Network Places" but will when you search for it. Would changing from a workgroup to a domain-based network help? The network only encompasses about 10 computers.

Thanks,
Jisoo22

Does each user have their own username and password or does everybody use the same account?
If each has their own account then try creating the same accounts on the server with the same password or if everyone has the same uname and password then just create that account on the server.

The two XP Pro computers that can log onto the Server shared folder both utilize the username "Administrator" with no password. I'll check the users panel for it on the 2000 server and if there isn't one I'll create an account for it. As far as I know, there really aren't any other usernames and passwords. It's really weird what's going on.

Jisoo22

Hey,

To be honest, it depends on what your network is going to be used for. If your going to want decent internet access through it, and centralised admin etc. I'd think about creating a Domain now. Espically if you think it could grow in the next year or so. This would also help, if not cure the problem. Domains are a lot more easier to trouble shoot than a workgroup.

Good Luck, Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

When you try to contact the internet or network, the first place you pc looks is in the hosts and lmhosts files. If you search your hard drive for hosts.* and lmhosts.*, (It's in winnt\system32\drivers\etc in W2K), you'll find a sample file of each that MS has included with instructions on how to use them. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"The higher man hangs his goals, the higher they grow."
Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805); German poet.

Hi all,

Well I'm pretty tempted to change to a domain-based network now, that last XP Pro computer just refuses to see the server for some excruciating reason. It could also be possible that the client needs to have it's OS reloaded (it has a lot of software on it and I also found outdated software that won't run on XP too). I may try that first. Question, in order to change to a domain-based network, is the setup much different then setting up a workgroup-based network? I haven't set up a domain-based one before and my networking skills are a little rudimentary.

Thanks,
Jisoo22

When you go into windows explorer using the xp machine that doesn't see the server, what happens when you type in the browser bar \\servername\ Does the server show up? Can this machine ping the server? Can the server ping this machine? Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"All human power is a compound of time and patience."
Honore de Balzac (1799 - 1850); French author

Glen,

Yeah the server and XP machine can ping each other which is the really weird thing. It can also open up a window in the server when I type \\servername\ in windows explorer but it's empty unlike the other machines where you see a folder or hard drive with the little wire tapping into it to show that it's shared.

Jisoo22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back