Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server and Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
AU
Hi
I've set up a shared internet connection via Windows NAT and am having some dificulties. I have 2 NIC's statically configured (1 for private network, other for public) and I am able to connect to internet from server without an issue. My problem is that the workstations continually receive "server not found or DNS issue" when trying to connect. When I ping the ISP's gateway from the workstation, I receive "request timed out". If I reboot the server, or restart RRAS and then reboot the workstation, clients connectivity is restored for a little while. I have found that if I check the "contact public network when name needs to be resolved" dial up interface (RRAS, then select properties from NAT protocol) everything works OK, but this setting is not able to be saved as I'm connected via DSL cable modem. All my DNS tests are OK and settings look fine (I forward outside requests to my ISP's DNS server).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm nearing the stage of a complete re-install.

I come across a similar problem when using NAT on a non-dialup connection. The easiest way i find to fix it, is to put the ISP's DNS server in as the preferred DNS Server on the workstations. But this may not be possible for your network

How many users have you connected to he W2k ? It can only accept 10 users at the same time.

No, I've only got 5-8 users connected to this server.

I have found that if I restart RRAS the problem disappears for a while. It's got me stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back