Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server & XP Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2003
US
I have a windows 2ooo server with Active Directory installed, DHCP, DNS all on same box connected through a router to my cable modem ISP.
My client PC can pping the server but not join the domain. It is set up for DHCP address and the config is as follows.
DHCP assigned IP 192.168.1.201
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway (router) 192.168.1.100
DHCP server 192.168.1.2
DNS server 192.168.1.2
Wins Server 192.168.1.2

I get the error when trying to join the domain that the network path was not found?

GSFDigital

No. Client is XP professional and other is windows 2000 advance server.

GSFDigital

I'll give your tech tip a try this evening, someone also suggested that demote the Active Directory and then re-promote it.

GSFDigital

I can tell you from your Ipconfig settings above that you have misconfigured DNS in a Win2k Domain with XP as the client.

You could use NETBUI configured this way.

After some reading, I have found a few references to setting the IP address of the dns server to the loopback 127.0.0.1?

GSFDigital

Yes, on the server. This is after you install the DNS service and get it running on the server.

NETBUI will work in the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back