Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server after logon only shows blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

libroos

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
SG
Hi all,

After logging on to Windows 2000 Server, the Server only shows blue screen. I know that the explorer.exe is not launched after Cntl-Alt-Del | Task Manager.

Apparently, noticed this after some security patches, ms06-06# were applid on the Server. Anyone experienced the same thing and had managed to recover it successfully?

Pls advise. Thx.

Rgds,
libroos

Go into safe mode and see if you have an APC software running. Disable it and you should be OK on the next reboot. APC had an issue where their certificate expired. They have free updates available on their web site.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Hi Mark,

Thx for your quick reply.

Where can I verify the APC software? I've tried SAFE MODE and also see only blue screen.

Is there any other way to repair it?

Rgds,
libroos

Thanks Mark. Would be trying out and update you. It's a local server.

Hi Mark,

It's not working. I could not see the APC software.

What I'm referring is the blank (blue) screen after logon using local admin. Could this be due to the profile or permissions issue?

Rgds,
libroos

Hi Mark,

Using Remote Desktop or Terminal Service into the Server, I'm still seeing blank desktop.

I tried to login again and from the Task Manager, New Task, i run 'explorer.exe', but the taskbar flashed for a quarter of a second and disappeared.

I also run chkdsk/f, and discovered bad sectors/clusters.

I'm still seeing blank desktop.

Any other suggestions from all?

Rgds,
libroos

Hi libroos,

This is a common problem with the windows 2000 Pro or even XP pro systems. I really struggled with this issue, but finally got it work. They way you resolve it by assigning the administrative rights to the user to whom you are login with. If you are using an AD user, make sure that user have an administrative rights on that local machine, not on the AD network offcourse. The reason why it happens is because explore.exe doesn't think that the user you are logged in with has got admin rights and therefore, quits explore.exe process.

Thx siqbal75,

The Server is a standalone Server and the user id used, was local admin id. I also tried created new user id and added the new user id into administrators' group. Tried to login using the new user id (with admin privileges), but still see blank desktop.

I was contemplating using Re-install Server OS, using repair option.

Rgds,
libroos

Libroos,

Re-installing the OS might help, but its alot of work. Can you make sure that local admin is infact part of Administrative group and also make sure you delete all the dummy profiles that were created during the login process. It will be a good idea to get rid off those dummy profiles (off course not the user in question and administrator user profile) under My Computer properties, and then user profiles. Then restart your computer and see if it works.

Hope this helps. Also please check to see if explore.exe is running or not after giving it administrative rights.

Have you tried to look into %temp% directory and check for dump files? You then can copy them to another machine and debug with Windows Debugging Tools. You can download windows symbols or connect to then remotely using Microsoft Symbol Server accessible by by this address. Set the path to sysmbols in Windows Debugging Tools, load some dump you've found in %temp% and run
!analyze -v
command in command window. You can try to find faulting service or driver then.

Hi Siqbal75, SquareNull,

Removing user profiles also does not work..

I could not see any dmp files.

How to get the explorer.exe shown?

Rgds,
libroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back