Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 scandisk and defragmenter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

redroach

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2001
GB
i am running window2000 when i run the scan disk it starts gets as far as scanning the disk surface then goes back to scaning folders and back to scanning surface. it does this 10 times scanning a little bir more each time. on the tenth time an box comes up saying another program is writting to the disk. on defragnenter it just keeps restarting.

ive no idea what this program is.
any ideas would be appriciated.

cheers

red

Just be sure to close all running applications, everything in the system tray (in the lower right corner) and all antivirus software and such you may have running, and make sure that you don't have any screensavers enabled.

Boot into Safe mode and run them from there.

I'm running Win2K as a stand alone - and I can't even get Scan Disk to run - every time I try, it tells me that I don't have "exclusive" control over the disk, and therefore it will run the next time I boot up. Is there any way around this?

ive tried closing every thing on start up (through the system confiuration utility) but am still having problems. even if i were to be able to run scan disk with everything else closed is there anyway i could solve the problem once and for all, or does anyone know which particular piece it may be writing to the disk when im trying to scan??

jared

i need a big help... i have window2000 professional and where is scan disk? i cant find it another Q is how can i stop some programs to run from i start window on ? i cant find anywhere to stop some programs run from start... please help me... thank u =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back