Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 remote access 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonniago

MIS
Jun 18, 2002
US
can I remotely administer my Windows 2000 server with Terminal Server from my Windows 98 machine?

No,
You will need XP pro to do what you are wanting to do or have the Win2k server edition.

hey how about remote desktop? install terminal services on the server, do a search for remote desktop on the MS site. d/l the exe that should work. hack the planet!

As long as you have configured the server for Terminal services, then yes, just load the terminal server client on your Windows 98 PC. I do it all the time from my W95 PC at home.

The Client
This is from
Microsoft has provided the following chart to show the operating system and minimum level of hardware that PC's should have to act as Terminal Services clients:

OS RAM Processor
Windows 2000 32 MB Pentium
Windows NT 4.0 16 MB 486
Windows 98 16 MB 486
Windows 95 16 MB 386
Windows for Workgroups 3.11 16 MB 386

My experience with Microsoft minimums has taught me that a good rule of thumb is to double whatever they say. So my recommended minimums would actually be 64 MB RAM and a Pentium III (or equivalent) for use with Windows 2000, 32 MB RAM and a Pentium II (or equivalent) for NT 4.0, and so on. And remember these are minimums, for good performance, you will have to go beyond these requirements. I don't know where Microsoft comes up with these numbers, but I can tell they've never had to stand in a meeting in front of my users and explain why it takes 15 minutes to open a spreadsheet.

Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
"There is nothing like a dream to create the future."
Victor Hugo (1802-1885); French writer.

I am sorry I thought you were trying to run the session on a Win2k pro.

You will need to add terminal services on the server. Set it up for remote administration. On a Win98 cd you can load the TS client. It is in addons I believe. This will be RDP4.0 If you want RDP5.0 you can make disks off the server. Once you install the client on your Win98 machine you will be able to connect to your server.

Sorry again for my previous post.

get tsweb.exe from MS and install it on one of your webservers. When you hit the tsweb website, you'll be prompted to download an active x control. This will allow you to use terminal services client via web browser. Or, if you know somebody who has a tsweb website, you can goto there site and get the active x control and then just type in your ipaddress of your home machine.

Do you know how to set up the Terminal Services Disks from the server? Not to hard. Start, run, admin tools, terminal services client creator. You:ll need two blank formated floppies. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com

We are looking at terminal services and we configured it on a test network and it worked fine. But how secure is it and should it be used with a vpn?
Originally set it up with ISA server

Regards

Dave,
I would recommend a router on for your Internet connection.
I would then setup your clients or workers to VPN to your office and then run a terminal server session. That would be your most secure way. If you were wondering about security while TS users are logged in you can lock down the Terminal Servers pretty good. They actually have a lot a default settings for just users that won't let them do harming things to your server.

There are some problems that you should be aware of. If your going to TS into the network from home, make sure your not running a network at home. We access our network from home using a VPN, then authenticate through our domain. If a user doesn't have an account on the domain, they ain't gettin in! Problem though is if you have a home network, and are sitting comfortably on your sofa, getting to the vpn with your laptop, the vpn will let you in, but it will lock you up. The vpn thinks it's trying to be hacked to it blocks you out. This is the way we want it. We could change it, but it would be less secure. I access with my desktop at home without going through my network, and it works fine. [pc2] Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com

I have Windows NT Server 4.0 (Terminal Server edition) and for the past week or so, I get complaints that my remote users "cannot print" or "cannot find printers". When I look at printers on the server, they are gone. When I down the server they come back.

Can anyone help me with this one. I am also running Citrix Metaframe 1.8.

Thanks

vonniago

You might want to start by enabling auditing on the server, then log all events happening (successes and fails) to those printers. Worst case scenario could be that someone is goofing off and deliberately deleting those printers to mess with your users.

Even if this is not the case, the logging might tell you when you're losing the printers, so that you have a point of reference to check the rest of the system. That way, you could tell if a certain events are corrupting the print ports or altering them in some way.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Hey Techie Folks
The information you have provided here helped me in sucessfuly installing and testing the Terminal services at my lab i once again thank you all for the valuable information that you have provided i guess we should as MS to creat a fourm where we can discuss the same
Well can anyone guide me how to Switch On a remote Server if i switched it off
thanks and emails can be sent to raj@adeptech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back