Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasote

Technical User
Jan 16, 2009
Hi,

I just bought a new hard drive and I want to install W2K Professional on it and I want to keep the old hard drive as a second hard drive but I don't know what changes should I make (if any) in the BIOS. Can anybody help me with this please?
Thanks.

No real changes should be made to ther BIOS.

I'm assuming that both drives are IDE hard drives as opposed to SATA drives.

If that's the case, then you'll need to unplug the current drive form where it is.

No here's where things need to change, if you plan on having both drives on the same IDE cable then you'll need to change the jumper settings for the current drive to slave, and make sure the new drive's jumpers are set to Master.

Plug the new hard drive in by itself(the old drive must not be attached to the system) and run the Win2k installation.

Once it completes the installation on the new drive, then turn off the machine and plug the old drive onto the cable you want it to be attached to, plug in the power connector, and boot up the machine.

If all went well windows should now pick up the old drive as an additional drive and assign it a drive letter. such as E:.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thank you for your answer but both hard drive are SATA. Should I follow the same procedure?

Thankis again

If they are both SATA, then each has their own cable, and no jumper settings are necessary. You still need to remove the old one and plug the new one where the old one was.

Run the installation without the old one present, and after its done plug the old one into another cable.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

On some, maybe many, BIOS you don't need to do anything except tell the BIOS which is primary. No need to change any cables in that case.

Hi,

My motherboard is Asus P4S800D-X and has 2x UltraDMA 133/100 and 2x Serial ATA with RAID 0,1 function.

I just replace the hard drive with a new one: Seagate SATA 3.0 Gb/s 250 GB ST3250410AS (Barracuda 7200.10).

Now it comes the problem: when I start the computer it stay 3-4 minutes with the motherboard picture on the screen, after that it stay 1-2 minutes with the Windows 2000 Professional startup screen and after that Windows starts.

Before I changed the hard drive I did not have this problem.

The video card is 256 MB.

What could be wrong? Somebody told me that the system is looking for the hard drive which could not be the proper one for my motherboard.
I hate to buy a new computer because all of them come with Wista and all my programs are not compatible with this.

Please help.
Thanks,
Radu

Are both drives connected?

Did you install fresh copy of 2k on new drive/clone from old? (basically, how did you set up the new drive)

What's the boot order?

If both are connected, is it any better with just the new drive connected.

If you go into bios settings you should be able to turn off the motherboard picture being displayed. Then you can see what its doing & where it gets stuck. It does sound like its trying to access something that isn't there

Hi,

I did not install the second hard drive so I have only one hard drive (250 GB Seagate)with 2 partition C and D and I install W2K fresh. I was thinking maybe my motherboard doesn't take well the hard drive (Barracuda 7200.10) 3 gb/s since the old hard drive was I think only 1.5 gb/s.

Now, that the hard drive is new, w2k is fresh, not to much junk, I was thinking that my computer will run faster but it is 2 times slower than before. Something is wrong.

The programs takes longer to load, I get kick out many times, one after the other, I'm not happy and it is no way to get back since the old hard drive (the one I replaced) has very strage noise and is 5 years old.

The boot order is A:, CD: then HD.

Maybe the HDD is one step up then my motherboard can take.
What do you think?
Thanks

SATA interface is backwardly compatible - so even if you have put a SATA II drive in a SATA I mobo/controller it should be fine.

How did you partition the drive? Is the bios set to IDE mode for SATA drives or did you have to load SATA drivers from a floppy during the install? (I'm thinking that pre-SP3 2k install disk will only be able to see c. 128GB of that drive in IDE mode, not sure about SATA). But i can't really see why this would cause slowness problem.

I would run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility against your drive (nearly all have one on their website), as if that's the only thing that's changed, would suspect hard drive problem.

Have you changed bios so you can see where its getting stuck on boot? (sometimes tab or esc key will clear mobo picture if you can't find where to turn it off in bios)?

Have you tried the drive connected to both SATA ports?

Thank you for your answer.

I'm trying to explain:
- I partitioned the hard drive with Windows XP CD and after I did partitions (C: and D:) and format (NTFS both)then I quit XP when it asked me is I want to install Wondows XP.
I put W2K CD in E: drive and I install W2K.

I DIDN'T DO ANY modifications to BIOS but I updated it from Asus Website with Asus Utilities.

I did not run diagnostics from Seagate for the hard drive but I will try to do this.

I was thinking to check the other SATA port but I hesitate. Could have any impact? I'll try.

what level service pack does your 2k install CD have? If its less than SP3, it wouldn't have been able to access the whole of the drive - which might have caused some of your issues. How big did you make the C: drive partition?

The SATA ports are interchangeable - won't cause any problems swapping - and would either show original port is defective or rule it out (unless both are defective of course! - but thinking about it, you wouldn't have been able to run XP install disk successfully if there was a problem with the SATA).

But watching the bios post to see where 1st delay occurs and running disk diagnostic would be useful.

btw - have you installed the chipset drivers for the motherboard?

Thanks again,

My W2k CD is Service Pack 4 original.

C: drive is 100 GB and the D: is 132 GB. For what ever reason it did not recognized the hard drive as a 250 GB.

I have check today again the time after I run 2 utillities programs for the last 4 days to fix my computer.

So, the time is 15 seconds for Motherboard info (logo) and 25 sec for the screen with W2K loading. Not bad. Right now from the moment I press the start button till I can open a program it takes 100 seconds.

The programs I runn are: Registry Easy and Advanced System Care Pro. They found .... millions of problems with invalid registry, etc, etc. they fixed all the problem but the screen don't come on standby unless I go to Power Option in Settings and I choose 5 or 10 minutes for the screen to come off.

Dear Woluff, you mentioned something about installing the chipset drivers for the motherboard. NO, I did't do that because I have no idea about this.

If this can improve in anyway I'll like to do this, ofcourse if you can give me a hint.

The computer I was talking about is my wife computer but I want to change the hard drive on my computer too (also 5 years old - same w2k) so I will keep all the recomandations for the next adventure.

Thanks again.

with a sp4 install disk, should be ok with large hard drive. I would recommend using the 2k not the XP disk to partition - just the system partition - leave the other for when you're up and running (I know it takes longer as no quick format option, but the small differences between 2k & XP could create a problem).

A 250GB hard drive is generally 250,000,000,000 bytes (ie, GB defined as 1,000,000,000 bytes). Windows usually defines it as 1024x1024x1024 - ie 1,073,741,824 bytes - so you need to divide 250 by 1073741824 to get the size in windows (and the bios usually) - which is 232GB.

Sounds like its basically sorted - 100 seconds to being able to open program is not bad for 2k (not the fastest loading version of windows), though I'm still puzzled why a clean install should have created a problem. It sounds like (one of) those apps has helped - but I would be careful of 'clean-up' apps like those - they can remove the wrong entries and create havoc - though much more unlikely to on a new install.

If you go to the motherboard manufacturer site, they should have a support page with drivers. Find your motherboard and see if there are any chipset (or SATA) drivers available for it. If there are, download and install. They can speed up stuff like disk access time and generally let the machine operate a little more efficiently.

Thank you again for your help and I think I'll do it wight with my computer.

got a old computer with windows 2000 professional but need passworld to get open windows any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back