Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Professional slow to login to Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitesh22

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
US
Hello, I am running Windows 2000 Active Directory Server at home. I have 1 desktop that is running Windows 2000 professional. I added the computer name for Windows 2000 Professional to the Windows 2000 Server. I have created several user account in Windows 2000 Server. When I try to login to the network with windows 2000 professional my network is very slow to login. It takes about 25 minutes to get into the desktop. I have a Linksys hub and Dlink Firewall (DI-704}. Any idea why it takes so log to login to Windows 2000 Server?? Please let me know.

hi hitesh
wats ur network setup like?
can u elaborate!!
like ur domain setup,dns,ads,ip of the machines,subnet,network setup ie the hub,firewall etc.
did u made the win proff join the domain?
plz add anything else that u think can be useful
somebody will surely help u out
Kapil Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

My network setting are as follows:

The ipaddress for my server that I am using is 192.168.0.4.

My DLink Internet Sharing Cable Router is set as DHCP Server. I have set my Windows 2000 Professional to obtain IP Address from the Router. My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

The Server is also set as DNS server.

I have created active directory and I did configure Windows 2000 Professional and it is part of the domain or active directory. I am able to login to the domain fine but while logging in it takes too long like 25 minutes. It will stay at screen that says applying your personal settings that is where it takes 25 minutes before I am able to get to the desktop.

My performance of my network was fine when the network was set up as Workgroup and I was able to gain resources to my server fine without any delays. Hope this will give the basic picture of how my network is setup. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Thanks,

Hitesh.

hi hitesh
can u check ur event log of ur proff machine!!
is there somethin about netlogon service!!
wats the status of the netlogon service on ur proff
machine??
Kapil Technical Director
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

Hi Kapil,

First of all let me thank you for responding to my posting so quick.

Now, here is the NetLogon message that I am getting when I try to login with Windows 2000 Professional. The message in event viewer is "Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in Active Directory Failed. The following error occured. The RPC server in unavailable."

I trying to find out why my RPC server is not available. Let me know if you have any idea why RPC server would not start and or am I doing something wrong.

Thank You,

Hitesh.

hi hitesh
well first check the rpc service is running or not on ur proff
well give a command : net start rpcss
well if this solves the problem then fine.if not then
also do a netdiag at the command prompt to
check the gateway,winsock,dns etc. test are passed or not
let me know if u find something peculiar
Kapil Technical Director
visit

Hello,

I checked the RPC Server connection with net start rpcss command and it gave me a message that RPC server is already running. I also ran netdiag from the command menu and it all the connection seems fine. I think my problem should be my router or my hub. I am using D Link router DI-704 and Linksys hub. Computer are connected thru hub and Hub is connected to the router.

any other ideas or anything that I am not doing right.....

Regards,

Hitesh.

i had this problem on my network i had to be sure that i had my DNS setup correct to point to my local AD domain controller and not to a DNS that was from my ISP. hope this helps

This is probably nothing to do with your case, but I had a similar problem with very long login times when using group policy. I found that if group policy was applied on too many levels in Active Directory - i.e more than 3 levels, login was very slow. Just re-organising A.D. so that I applied group policy on only 2 or 3 levels (e.g at toplevel, then at O.U. level if needed) fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back