Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Professional permissions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicep

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2000
US
We have a new W2K Pro computer with an Epson Scanner and Microsoft office as well as other programs. When the user opened Outlook(Exchange server) email, an error saying the program could not be registered correctly, and that it need to be reinstalled. Also, when trying to use the scanner software, an error saying "No registry setting was found" and then the system would hang on that error. For the time being, I have added the user to the Power Users group and everything works properly. But, I do not want them to be able to install software and need to know how to disable that ability while still allowing them to use the Outlook and scanner software.

Has anyone encountered similar problems? I went through the Local Policy, but I can't find anything that looks like it would give a little permission, but still disable software installation.
Thanks for any hints or clues anyone can provide!

I have run into this problem multiple times. It's a good idea to install all software while logged on as the administrator. Sometimes you can add a user to the administrators group and set up their programs, then set them back to a normal user and that will get you where you want to go. However, that doesn't work all the time. Please let me know if you find a better solution.

I've had the same problem. Some software will not work with Administration Priveleges assigned. Hope solution found sometime on this.

Pilot1

Well, it is nice to know I am not the only one that has enountered this! Thanks for the replies.

yeah this problem is very common, especially when isntalling 3rd party apps that might have been written for win98 or even win2k but with no regards to permissions and groups (you'll notice the 'good' programs always ask "make this program available for everyone?")

if anyone has any suggestions on how to get around these type of problems please let us know

I have had the very same problem, and even if the program is installed while the computer is logged in as an account with admin privlidges.
Something I've found that works is under admin mode, using ICQ as a prime example in this case.
If you go the the "ICQ folder" in "Program Files" and get the properties on the "ICQ Folder" then go to the security tab and add what ever username you want to the list, then give them "Full Control" over that folder. This (in most cases I've seen) allows the program to run under the desired account.
Hope this helps.

HI!

In Windows 2000, you can change the permissions to be more compatible with some 3rd party apps using the following way:
(I am writing from memory, so might have mistakes)

Back up your computer, or atleast the system state.
Creating an ERD diskette using NTBACKUP is also recommended, as it backs up the registry.
(or start MMC as administrator)
Add the following snap-ins:
Security Templates
Security Configuration and Analisys

Now I don't remember the exact proccess, but there you can apply a pre-configured security template called COMPATWS (or something like that, meanning a "compatible" workstation with permissions similar to those in NT4WKS which are more compatible with some apps including OFFICE2000 then the W2KPRO defaults).
This gives the USERS group a bit more access to some registry keys and some files, but still does not make them Power Users.

Another option for you is to check out what registry keys or files are blocked from your users, and give USERS access to these specific keys/folder.
i.e. add permissions USERS=FULL CONTROL (or less) only to HKLM/SOFTWARE/EPSON/...
and to C:\PROGRAM FILES\EPSON\whatever

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Hi,
I had a similar problem with a Visioneer scanner. I made modifications to the registry which would allow the non administrator to use the scanner/software. I added the Everyone group to the security property of the HKEY_Local_Machine, Hardware, and Software sections to full access.
It lets the software access the registry, but regedit is still unavailable to non administrators, so they cant edit the registry manually.
To me it seems like a difficult way to get the software working right, but it did work.

I have a similiar problem, only users can not see my AGFA USB scanner at all. I have to give them administrative rights...witch is not a very good solution. :)

good luck,

Smiley

I made the registry change and removed the user from the Power Users group. The scanner works now. I hope to experiment with the security templates on a test computer - I tried the compatws and it allowed users to install software without error.

Another problem/solution that I had with Epson USB scanner on Windows 2000 - it has no power switch, but goes into some sort of "sleep" mode. When you turn on the computer while the scanner is "asleep", it finds a new "unknown USB" device and tries to install it. It won't recognize it as a scanner. Of course, my user gets errors saying they don't have permission to install hardware etc etc.

My workaround - I put a power strip for the scanner only. I instructed the user to turn the scanner off via the power strip when they are not using it and to leave it off when they power the computer. After the computer powers up and they log on, they can flip on the power button and the scanner is recognized and works just fine.

I'm sure this goes in a different forum, but since the thread was started, I thought I'd add it here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back