Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 Pro, power off just restarts the PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi, hope someone can help me

My problem is every time I try to shut down my machine, it immediately restarts leaving me with the only option of just pulling the plug (something which I'm not comfortable doing) I was told that the answer may lie in either the BIOS or somewhere in the control panel.

The most recent thing that I installed on my machine around the same time that the problem started was a FUJI 6800z digital camera through the USB.

I'm using windows 2000 Professional on a machine with the following specs:

Abit Kt-7 Motherboard
1GHZ Athlon
1 Gig of RAM
2 HDDs (17GB Maxtor & 40 GB Maxtor)
32MB Geforce 1 card

Thanks to anyone who can help.

In Control Panel in the Power Profile .Double click Power Options.Go to the Advanced tab and make sure that the option when i press the power button. Power off is selected.
this will solve your problem.

Some machines I've come across require you to do daft things like hold the power button in for five seconds or so before the machine shuts down. Have you tried this?

I would try maybe to log off then do a a power down by using five seconds on the power button. Maybe not a good idea I'm not sure how win2000 saves things (or when).

You could restart from the options and turn the computer off using the power button during POST.

If none of these work or even if they do, check your bios for the options that tell the computer what to do when you press the power button.

Cheers

Chris

Since when do you have this problem ?
After install of software or after put in new hardware ?

After installation of software.

------------

I'm afraid these two didn't work, but thanks anyway:

mark.suckl (Visitor) Nov 20, 2001
In Control Panel in the Power Profile .Double click Power Options.Go to the Advanced tab and make sure that the option when i press the power button. Power off is selected.
this will solve your problem.

Mictain (MIS) Nov 20, 2001
Some machines I've come across require you to do daft things like hold the power button in for five seconds or so before the machine shuts down. Have you tried this?

Thanks very much 'Chrissirhc'. Telling the machine to restart then as it begins to do so, hold in the power button seems to have done the trick.

No probs, I would however wait until it has restarted before turning it off (if you are not doing so)and treat this a temporary solution.

Maybe you can still check the bios and check what the option says for the power button. I expect you have an award bios, by your spec.

But all in all you should be able to just choose shutdown from the startmenu so these is a problem.

Cheers

Chris

Just thought I'd share that I'm having the same problem. In my case it started after running norton disk doctor on my compaq presario. I've been using the "hold down the power button for 4 secs as it restarts" solution.

The problem did mysteriously solve itself for two or three weeks, but its back again... If I find an answer, I'll pass it along.

isn't the goal to shut off your machine without interventíon on the power button?

in my own case with this behaviour in w2k i tried to first select "restart" instead of "power down". After rebooting i reselected "power down" and it worked.
But i'm afraid that would not work in your case, because you've already tried that, or not?
So i think, it's a real prob with your BIOS or HAL-file.
(Refer to Microsofts knowledgebase on hal issues)

Greets
Uwe

This problem is usually caused either by control panels power or the BIOS power settings due to incompatibilities between the BIOS and the ATX power.

Flash your BIOS and if the control panel power didn't cure the problem, that should do it.

It seems I am having the bluescreen problem that was discussed elsewhere. On shutdown, there seems to be an error with the driver for my new wireless lan access point. When 2k reaches this, it reboots (instead of displaying the blue screen, a config setting for 2k).

I am able to stop the driver for the ap (since its usb) before shutting down the system, and this is a repeatable method of avoiding the shutdown/restart issue on my system.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back