Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Pro password

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlee

MIS
Apr 29, 2003
PH
Hi Guys,

I have a Windows 2000 Professional works a server. when I set it up, I didnt type any password, I just hit the Enter key.

The problem now, is asking me for a password. is there any solution for that? sorry im not a MS guy. =) hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks a lot.

Noel Lee CATSRI,CATSE,CNS6.5
Network and Systems Engineer
ITS, Philippines

When you install Win2K it asks you for an administrator password. If you used a blank password your password is blank.

When you want to log in you would use administrator as the username then leave the password field blank then select the local computer from the domain list (if there is one).
This should get you in and you can then use CTL+ALT+DEL and the change password option to change the password.

Does this help?

Hi ABOzIT, thanks. I Know that. but I can logon to the system many time already, but today it seems that somebody touched my server and I cannot login anymore. I'm just wondering if theres any tools or command line so that i could change the password. I cant afford to let it that way, since the system has our emails. =(

Hope somebody can help me on this. thanks.

ITS, Philippines

Sorry, I thought you could not log in after a new installation.

You could try using the Users and Groups snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC) on another system that you have logged into using a username that is in the Domain Admin group. Select the problem server from the domain list or just type in it's computer name.

That way you could create a new local user and add it to the local admin group. This should get you in.

Do you have a username that is in the Domain Admin group that you can use to get in?

To be honest I haven't tried this procedure but it seems feasable.

Hope this helps!

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot. but I dont have any users except for administrator. I didnt create any domain for that server. well, I will just give it a try. Thanks a bunch. =)

ITS, Philippines

I have started to put together a FAQ about passords. Please look at faq96-2866.

If you discover any "fixes" for this problem please let me know and I will include them in the FAQ.

Chris Anthony

Hi Guys,

I already fix the issue. All I did is I delete the SAM file from C:\winnt\system32\config then I reboot the system, and I can manage to login to the system with default username and password. Username is Administrator, and no password, just hit enter.

ChrisRAnthony, thanks and I just want to let you know that your link doesnt work. will check it later. :)

Thanks guys for your help, really appreciate it a lot.

ITS, Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back