Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacasa

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
I administer a Windows 2000 Server with 25 Windows 98SE clients at a non-profit. We will getting some money in to upgrade some computer and operating systems. All clients will be at least 500MHz PIII with 128MB RAM up to 1.8GHz Celeron/256MB RAM. Some people have suggested sticking with Windows 2000 Pro and not go with XP Pro.

Anybody have any recommendations??

Eric

Hi Eric,

From my experiences with both 2000 and XP, I would definately go for Windows 2000.

* XP installs with many uneccesary services a flash
* XP has a flash, heavy interface that does nothing more but chew up RAM
* Many drivers written for XP are terrible (many seem to be a work in progress)
* The different "Start menu" interface can sometimes mean that user training may be required.
* Many admin type tools are hidden with XP. Makes it more cumbersome to administer at times.

As for 2000, it's more streamlined, doesn't have (as many) uneccesary services running with a default install, doesn't chew as much RAM, driver coverage and stability is well ahead of XP, and admin tools/interfaces are easier to find/use.

The only thing that XP has going for it is the RDP (basically Terminal Services) feature - enabling you to help out users without being at their machines. However you can get around this on 2000 with tools such as VNC - to my recollection they're free for use by not-profit orgs.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Hi,

Windows 2000 is a mature os, and some of the xp's improvements are shipped back to 2000 through sp's & updates. It certainly is lighter to run and there is no doubt your machines will work faster with 2000.

I agree with Steve about xp services, but not about drivers, they are the most stable ms ever built (and since most of them are available for 2000, this also is a plus for 2000).

I'd go for 2000.

Grunt

Id also like to say that with Microsofts Current onslaught on the licensing market-- its advisable to go with XP as it wont be long before Microsoft stop making licenses for 2K and your forced with having to upgrade again.

MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

If your going to post-- say somthing instead of Googling a URL link

i say go with xp, you can change all the fancy stuff in xp to resort back to the classic windows look so it doesn't hog memory. it has remote assistance built in which is a nice tool also.

with Xp being newer on the market chances are it will have a longer life span than 2000 therefore XP

I would recomend you purchase XP Pro Lic, and a Media Disk for both XP and W2K. Install both on test systems and see which one you prefer. If you purchase XP Pro Lic, you can install W2K with it, and still have the ability to upgrade to XP Pro when you decide you are ready.

Howdy all,

Some very good points raised, especially by abrannon. I didn't think of that one. If you do purchase XP Pro licences, you can install 2K with it, then upgrade to XP if necessary in future. However it can't be done with OEM licences, which shouldn't be an issue in your case. If you purchase any new systems do not purchase OEM licences with them - get the full, retail version of XP and you're free to install 2000 in place of an XP licence.

As for ksukenny, the main reason I suggested 2000 is the lower admin required from guys like us. Disabling services and changing the XP interface back to 2K's is admin!. Even after doing that, it still chews more RAM.

If MS stop selling 2K licences - who cares? Why the need to upgrade? I have clients still running on 95 as it still fulfills their requirements, as the business hasn't changed much. Unless the infrastructure somehow changes to create a need for XP there's no real reason to upgrade rather than to keep up with the Jones's.

Just my two cents.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Being a non-profit I can buy XP upgrade for $6. I have to check if I can install 2000 legally with this XP upgrade. I know that I have to have an existing OS - even DOS would qualify - for these XP upgrade licenses. I will probably end up with a mixture of XP Pro and 2000 Pro.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back