Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS 2000 PRO KEEPS BOOTING INTO WIN 2K SETUP HELP!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello I was going to redo the OS on this machine I have with Win2K on it. I decided not to and now
everytime I start the machine it boots into the Setup. I click F3 to quit then it gives me 2 options:
Start Win2K Pro
Start Win2K Setup
I can get in fine from this point but everytime its going directly to Setup. What I did was when I
was going to reintall I selected the EXE from the CD drive through Windows Explorer. It said creating
install for Win2K. How do I fix this to not boot into Setup everytime and go back to normal? Thanks

Try to continue with the setup and install W2k or format your drive and re-install the old OS. From the info given, sounds like you are in the lake with no boat.

Check the add/remove programs in control panel and see if there's any Windows setup you can select to remove. Haven't seen this issue before.

Also, stupid question, but the CD is no longer in the drive, right?

No nothing in the CD Drive anymore. Is there anyway around this because I have all the files setup the way I need them I just need to stop this from trying to boot into setup.

Your old OS is GONE, your system files were delited by the setup and now it wants to finish the setup with the files from the new OS. Your only hope is to continue the setup and hope for the best. You should ALWAYS back-up your data, document your configs and have on hand any software you want to install before you do an install or upgrade.

I experiment with new software for our company. I learned a long time ago, make sure you back up your data, because sometimes it's easier to f-disk, start from scratch and re-load. I can do this in just a couple of hours now.

what you need to do is right click on my computer, select properties...click on the advanced tab...select startup and recovery in the bottom......click on the default OS and select the OS you want to boot up as a default....click ok and restart...from now on, it should boot to your win2k OS..good luck...

dddtran is right. I should have remembered that. Sorry, give it a try, and I can almost guarantee that it will work. (Did this yesterday when I upgraded an NT4.0 server to a 2000 server.) I asked the owner how long it's been doing that, he said from day 1. took all of 30 seconds to fix. Good luck.

Thats only for a dule boot. He said that he was re-doing his OS.

This will stop a dule boot, or you can change the amount of time it shows up. If he doesn't want to dule boot, just turn it off. Had the same problem on mine. You're basically lying to the OS.

This will stop the 2 options that he keeps seeing by setting the original OS as the default. At least he will not have to interact with the bootup process.
"then it gives me 2 options:
Start Win2K Pro
Start Win2K Setup
I can get in fine from this point but everytime its going directly to Setup."

it is not a re-do anymore..he does not want to redo anymore. that is why he said that he can get in fine from the 2 options and How do I fix this to not boot into Setup"
this is how:
right click on my computer, select properties...click on the advanced tab...select startup and recovery in the bottom......click on the default OS and select the OS you want to boot up as a default, you can also adjust the time in seconds...

HE SAY'S

"it gives me 2 options:
Start Win2K Pro
Start Win2K Setup
I can get in fine from this point but everytime its going directly to Setup". That's because the set-up is not complete so there is no way that he can right click anything or edit the boot.ini.

I know..but if he loads up the win2k pro bc/ "I can get in from this point" and once loaded, go into ysytem's properties...another option is continue the install, but on a different partion..once finished, load the original OS up and edit the boot.ini and delete all files on the other partion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back