Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Pro Continues to reboot by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

farace

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
CA
I have a P3 running Windows 2000 Professional. The Windows operating system continues to reboot itself without warning. During the boot process, the operating system gets to the "Starting Windows" status bar "For troubleshooting and advanced startup options, Press F8" message and it then reboots. I ran antivirus checks, scandisk, defrag, Windows file protection, and removed any screen savers. I also cleaned the CPU fan, replaced the power supply, disconnected the network card, and replaced the memory simms. NO LUCK. If I select the "Microsoft Windows" option rather than the "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" option, the system will sit at the dos prompt and the system will not reboot. It appears to be the Windows 2000 operating system causing the reboots. Can anyone recommend any solutions? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

Hi,

I think that the re-boot is activate by W2K it-self because the option "auto-reboot when crash" is set to TRUE.

Didn't you see a fast B.S.O.D befor the re-boot ?
What's the message on it ?

Did your W2K completely boot, at last one time, in the past, on this PC ?

Is it a fresh install of W2K ? SP3 ? IE 6 ?

Have you install a new game or new video driver ?

We need more information to help you.

Samuel

I am not sure what you mean by B.S.O.D .

Yes, this PC was completely functional for 6+ months. I recently upgraded IE 5.0 to IE 5.5 and upgrade to SP3 on this PC. Its been working fine for a while with sp3 and ie 5.5.
I have not install any new drivers, video cards or games on this PC.

Thanks for you suggestions...

Matt

B.S.O.D. = Blue Screen Of Death, i.e. the bleu screen witch appeared when windows NT/2K crash.

Assuming the information you just give, I will say that the solution of your problem is writen on this famous B.S.O.D.
on witch windows write the reason of the reboot.

Tips for further instalation of W2K : the first things to do after the fisrt boot and log-on is to set the parameter "Auto-reboot when crash" to FALSE, so you'll can easely read the B.S.O.D. messages.

Samuel

Ah! The Blue Screen Of Death.... Thanks

I do not get any BSOD on this PC. How can I check to see the BSOD error message if BSOD does not appear during boot?
As mentioned before, the PC will not reboot itself if I select the "Microsoft Windows" option. The system will sit at the C:\ prompt for hours without rebooting. I also replaced the Windows 2000 hard drive with a Windows 95 hard drive. The user was able to operate the PC with Win 95 without a reboot. Obviously, Windows 2000 Pro is causing my reboots.

Any additional help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

How do I look at the boot log?

I also attempted to perform a windows 200 repair and got the following error message.

The following value in the .SIF file that setup uses is corrupted or missing.
Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDiskFiles] with key "SP1.cab"

Would it be okay to skip this error and continue with the windows installation process?

Thanks,

Farace

What/when was the last service pack you applied? It may sound silly, but sometimes when I have an OS issue that really eludes me, I just try a service pack. Believe it or not, it works some of the time.

Just my two cents, this little trick has salvaged my sanity more than once.

Hey, it sounds like you probably need a reformat of your system, most of the time when I run into a problem with the system going into an infinite reboot it takes a format and reinstall of the operating system to fix it. A lot of times you can see the Blue Screen of Death flash up just for a split second and then disappear, but it normally is so fast you will not be able to read what it says. Anyway, just thought I would let you know what normally fixes it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back