Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Pro cant see NT4 DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

djhawthorn

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
AU
We have just changed our subnet IP range, and now have a W2K Pro box which cant see the NT4 Domain Controller - yet it can ping it and resolve its hostname.

The NT4 DC is also a WINS/DNS Server.

Any ideas?

Have you checked the IP Address settings?

Go into a command prompt and type..

IPCONFIG /ALL

and check your DNS, Gateway, subnet etc. Maybe the Win2k has not released its lease yet.

Do a

IPCONFIG /RENEW

and see if it picks up the connect settings. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Make sure that you are running Service Pack 6a on your domain controllers. I have had problems with my 2000 PCs communicating with my NT machines if they were running a previous service pack.

The IP settings were all fine. The box could ping the server fine, resolve names etc.. just not resolve the domain name

We installed NetBEUI, and it worked. :
Not a great solution really.

All the NT4 desktops worked fine too after the IP subnet change. It was only the W2K Pro boxes that couldn't see the domain anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back