Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Pro and GeForce 4 MX440

Status
Not open for further replies.

steijssen

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
BE
Hello friends,

I'm having serious problems installing my new GeForce 4 MX440 on my windows 2000 backup PC.

System:
Celeron 500MHz
128 MB RAM
Win2K Pro

The problem is this: whenever I install the correct drivers for the graphics card and reboot, the screen turns off, and nothing happens further. I tried installing the latest nVidia drivers, as well as those that came with the card on a cd-rom. Is my system too old for this graphics card or what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for your time!!

AGP is the default setting. When the PC starts, I get the windows 2000 'splash screen' and when it done with the progress bar this splash screen becomes all jagged and after a few seconds the monitor powers down all by itself.

I went back to the store where I bought the card, but they said it should work, and gave me a new one, the exact same type, but that didn't help a thing...

It sounds like the GeForce card is switching to a resolution and/or refresh rate that your monitor can't handle. Try booting up in Safe Mode or perhaps you can try another (newer) monitor?

No I tried it at the lowest possible settings, 640x480 at 60MHz refresh rate, and it didn't work. The monitor is ok, because I have another PC here where I work on, with a GeForce 4 and the same monitor, only a much newer model of PC, and it works fine ofcourse.
Couldn't it be the PSU, because in the old PC where I'm trying to put the GeForce 4 MX440 in has one that delivers 230W only... ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back