Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Print Messenger Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to turn this alert off? Everytime you print a window appears... it waits for you to hit OK.

Thanks in advance.

Go to control panel of server, open printers and choose properties and then advanced. In there you will find "turn off banner notification" uncheck that.

Opps...open printers, then "file" the "server properties" then "advanced"

NOTE : This procedure must be performed on the server that is sending the dialog box. The only way to disable a dialog box on a client is to disable the messenger service on the client. Disabling the dialog box from the server will affect all clients.

Windows NT 3.51

Start Registry Editor.

From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following subkey:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers
From the Edit menu, click Add Value .

In the Value Name box of the Add Value dialog box, type NetPopup .

Select REG_DWORD for the Data Type, and then click OK .

In the Dword Editor dialog box, type 0 (zero) in the Data box, and then click OK .
Quit Registry Editor.

Quit Print Manager if it is running, and then stop and restart the Spooler service from the Services portion of Control Panel so the new setting will take effect.

Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000

Click Start , point to Settings , and then click Printers .
From the File menu, click Server Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click to clear Notify when Remote Documents are Printed .

Stop and restart the Spooler service from the Services portion of Control Panel so the new setting will take effect. In Windows 2000, start and restart the Spooler service from the Services snap-in under Administrative Tools .

NOTE : If the print notification is turned off and the printer is directly connected by means of a parallel or serial cable, error messages will appear on the server. While the error is displayed, printing will not resume to the printer, even if the cause of the error is cleared from the printer. Someone must log on to the server and click Retry or Cancel in the Error Message dialog box. This does not effect network-connected printers.

Well I tried your suggestions and I didnt work.
Tried restarting the machine after changing settings and NADA. Anything else you can think of.. will be more than welcome.

Thanks

Did you see the area that we were talking about? You "unchecked" the notification and it is still notifiying huh? That is a bit strange. I used to get that all the time and that seemed to work for me.
You can try checking the settings for the printer and looking for anything in there.
Also, if you are using a external jet direct card and have the ques spread out among different servers, you will have to do that on all of them.

The box you mentioned was nchecked to begin with. I tried checking it and unchecking it once more and nothing.
The messenger service pops with any network printer. Havent tried it with local printers. If there is any other information you need from me to get a better picture let me know.

Thanks in advance.

The box you mentioned was unchecked to begin with. I tried checking it and unchecking it once more and nothing.
The messenger service pops with any network printer. Havent tried it with local printers. If there is any other information you need from me to get a better picture let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Did anyone get an answer to this?

With Windows95 it was easy to turn off the print notification. However, with Windows2000 there is no "services" area in the control panel.

I do not want to turn it off from the server. Just from a few workstations.

LanMaster2,

In Windows 2000, you can find the services under the administrative tools. You can stop the messenger service from there on workstations. In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back