Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Permissions Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lodown

Programmer
Apr 30, 2002
AU
hi

first off i'll introduce myself as this is my first post, i'm Matthew. I have just upgraded from windows 98 to windows 2000 Professional. i have had a great deal of trouble with people hacking me, even though i have a firewall, so i have created 2 user accounts. One where you can read and write to c:\ and can only read d:\ (second hard drive) and one with read and write permissions to c and d drive. what i need to know is, can i block/deny all incoming/outgoing internet access, ftp access etc to the 2nd user account (with read and write access to both hard drives) and if i can how do i do it. now being a newbie to win 2000, i would really appreciate it if someone could lay it out to me step by step on how to do this.

thanks for your help

Matthew :)

If you have a persistent connection, I don't think you can do this with Win2k Pro. A firewall should be the only way. What type of firewall are you using, maybe you should think of upgrading it. If that doesn't work you can always disconnect the cable, that'l work every time... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

hi
i have norton firewall 2001 and i have a cable internet connection

If you go to the Window help and look at the information on incoming connections, it lays out specific steps you can take grant or deny users access rights.

If your D drive is formated with NTFS you can create a group policy that will allow you to assign the file and folder permissions to users that you want. Removing or restricting the Everyone group here will help.

If your problem is hacking, I think you should first make sure your firwall is updated. I have run Norton with good results. If you really have hacking problems, consider an inexpensive router. Even those for under $100 have multiple switch ports to connect several computers and hide your machines IP with a simple NAT. Between the software and hardware firwalls, you should stop most problems

hi
thanks for your advice, someone at my college said that i could stop it but disabling the usb port (i have a usb cable modem) for that particular user, is there a way to do this?
also i have set up my second hard drive so one user cant write to any 4 of it's partitions, however i can still write to the hard drive with that acoount, also it doesn't give me the option of changing to write permission????

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
matthew

You need to really identify your problem here. If it is hackers, the best way to deal with them is to keep them out of your system. Once in, a hacker can hijack your administrative account and do what they want using the admin permissions, no matter how you have locked down the other users. You keep hackers out with firewalls (hardware and software) and with anti-virus software to catch things like trojans. If you have suffered from hacker attacks that your current firewall is not stopping, perhaps you have inadvertantly configured the firewall to allow an out for something left behind in a previous attack. You could disconnect from the cable, uninstall Norton firewall, the re-install it, reconnect and immediately get the updates from Symantec. Then carefully watch what you configure rules for. If you do not know what program is trying to access out, do not configue a rule to allow it to do so all of the time. A good virus scan might also be in order to see if someone has left a little package that is sending your new information out to them
If your problem is wanting to have multiple users on your machine, each with different rights, the the permissions and group policies are the way to do this.

ok thanks everyone for your help, i think i have completely fixed the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back