Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 paging file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroce

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
US
what are the ramifications of increasing a paging file size?

I have win2k pro running with 256k of mem. Some of my users (including myself) have lately been getting the "system low on virtual memory" error, due mostly, i think, to some background antivirus apps that global IS has rolled out. This message seems to affect only our machines, not the newer xp's that have 500+ ram

So I'm considering bumping up the size of the paging file. Right now two of the w2k machines are set at 384-768. The other is set at 256-512 (this seems to be the one with the most problems)

These machines are strictly business use, running email, internet browser, word, excel docs simultaneously.

I know that you can set a paging file size too high - degrading performance, so what are some guidlines i should follow, and what should I watch for?

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

ok - thanks for the tip!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back