Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 / NT Server Printing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman070578

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2002
GB
I have some Windows 2000 Workstations on my NT4 Network which have a few issues. I have tried to explain them below.

I have a HP Laserjet 5000 Network printer installed on my NT4 Server. This is shared network printer, so all workstations can access it. I never have any problems with NT 4 Workstation. When I set up a Windows 2000 Workstation, I add a port, and type the path to the NT4 Server Printer share. It then downloads the drivers from my NT4 Server. (I assume these are NT 4 Drivers being installed on Windoes 2000).

On the Windows 2000 Workstation I can print the test page and it gets all the settings that I set for the printer on the server. The problem is when I try to print multiple copies (for example if I type in 10 copies from the print dialague box) it only prints one. Also when I try to print from Publisher it oftens just prints the frames that are on the page rather than text that is withine them. Acrobat Files often cause problems too - they just print characters rather than actual text.

Any suggestions? d.philpin@dewisant.pembroke.sch.uk

You may possibly have the wrong drivers. You should be able to add the 2k drivers to the print server so that it automaticly gives the driver on install.

Any ideas on where/how you add drivers for newer OS's onto a NT4 Print Server? d.philpin@dewisant.pembroke.sch.uk

In win 2k it is under the properties page for the printer under sharing tab
Never used NT4 but maybe above might help you find the right spot

I couldn't find a way to install 2k drivers onto an NT4 Print server, is it even possible, I ended up just sharing the printer from my 2k server and installing them from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back