Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000/Novell Client Issue with Arcserve 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Just found out that there is an issue with Arcserve 2000 when you combine Novell's Client for Windows 2000, Arcserve 2000 and Windows 2000. Document files and other data files that are backed up from Novell 4.11 and 5.1 servers in this configuration become corrupted during the backup procedure and cannot be restored to their original state. The data inside becomes corrupted.
The fix was to remove the Novell client and install the Microsoft Client for Netware. I got no help from Computer Associate's web site or tech support, or from Novell's web site. Could be a major issue for some people though!

Are you backing up through the TSA? You need to...
If you backup with the Arcserve agent, you must restore with it also, the converse is true as well. Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

I'm having the same problem and are not sure the backupserver actually backs up through tsa, how can I see that?

You should have seen an option (I think) to install and use Novell SMS. Backing up via the TSA should use SMS. There are cases where the server can't see the TSA and can't therefore use SMS. The side effects of this are that data is lifted from disk in 8.3 name format and it is uncompressed on reading and gets recompressed on saving.

SMS means that the data gets lifted off the server in pre-compressed blocks (assuming you have compression on etc.). If stored in this format on tape then you will need to restore back via SMS (TSA or push agent) or the data will make no "sense" when it is written back. (This should be mentioned in the documentation but you may have to spend a lot of time on the toilet reading it!).

AS6.1 NW had an option to choose whether to back up via "push agent" (which included the TSA) and use SMS.

Having said that, I am sure I found an old ASNW6.1 SMS tape and restored it to NT Server hard drive using AS6 NT complete with LFNs!.

Regards

Mark

I can't find any options in Arcserve 2000 and I don't
remember seeing it during the installation. The arcserve
logs don't say anything about connection via sms as it
does on Arcserve for Netware, so it probably doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back