Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 networked with windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtMonkee

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
I have a windows 2000 machine with a dsl connection to the internet and a windows Me machine that is sharing this connection. The internet connection is working fine, but for some reason the windows 2000 machine cannot see the windows Me machine in My Network Places so that I can share resources. Any help out there will be greatly appreciated.

COURTMONKEE,
I had the same problem, click on the FAQS tab on top and look in "Networking Windows 2000 and Windows 9x in a Peer 2 Peer". I found that I didn't have NETBEUI selected in the properties, fixed me right up.... now I have a problem maybe someone can help with, I can share with both 2000 and 98 machines but cannot copy any files over to the 98 machine from the 2000pro machine. Not sure if its the NTFS file to fat32 hard drive?

Ok, now both win 2000 machine and win me machine can see each other. Now when I try to access the files on the win me machine from the win 2000 machine, I get a message that the parameter is incorrect and I can't access any files. Can anyone help

Paljoe - filestore on the networked machines doesn't matter (its only on local machine that it does, eg, win98/2k dual boot, if 2k on ntfs, win98 can't see it. Over the network, each local machine can have whatever filestore type they want as long as everything is using same network protocol). You say can't copy from 2k to 98 - what exactly happens? (do you get error message, does it just hang etc). You have set the 98 share with full, not just read permissions?

CourtMonkee - can you give more details of your network setup - it should work (it should have worked with just tcp/ip if you're using ICS on 2k). I'd be tempted to remove and reinstall networking on the ME machine.

are you using client for microsoft networks and file and print shareig for microsoft networks?(in network places)

And did you share a folder for the other pc to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back