Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 migration/profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bash3r

Technical User
Oct 13, 2001
US
I am converting from a NT4 domain(domainname) to a separate 2000 domain(domain-name),notice the "-". I'm looking for tips on how to do a few things:

1. Keep the user profiles from the domain domainname and use them with the new domain domain-name. The profiles are stored locally on Windows 2000 Pro desktops, I have tired copying the folders, but this does not work very well.

2. Moving Exchange 5.5 mailboxes/Public folders to a separate Exchange 2000 server.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks, Bill

normally, NT keeps profiles stored on the server when the users logon to these server, when you upgrade the server to windows 2000, the profiles will be upgrades as wel. So i think that you don't have to copy all of the profiles to disk. If there is no copy on the server, maybe you can set-up a profile directory on one of your servers, select the users in usermanager for domains from which you still need the userprofile, and change the profile path to a directory on the server. Like this the next time the user logs on, the profile will be copied in the shared directory on the server.

regards

Wouter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back