Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Member Domain Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

morpheusmuh

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
GB

Hi there anyone,

i have a windows 2000 server which crashed as a result of someone pulling out the network cable accidentally anyway the end result is that now i keep getting netlogon errors(eventid 5778)the workstations keep crashing we suspect the server has had some active directory damage, i also get dns errors, we decided to save time by building another server (windows2003)and making it a member of that domain so that we can then migrate the information over and rebuild it, but it keeps coming up with dns errors again when were trying to authenticate to it something to do with "ldap_msdsc_cobsol.co.uk, host a records may not be in place " it doesnt does anyone know of any other way to of trying to resolve this issue?

"PAIN IS THE MOTHER OF CREATIVITY

What kind of error messages exactly are you getting? Not only the netlogon, but dns errors and such. We need more details. Have you tried to stop and start the dns service? Just a thought.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell."
Aldous Huxley (1894-1963), English critic & novelist

Hi there,

yes i have restarted the service i think its a bit more than that for this case, the errors om getting are as follows,
In the event viewer under directory services im getting id 1411 which is "The Directory Service failed to construct a mutual
authentication Service Principal Name (SPN) for server
W2KServer. The call is denied. The error was:
A Service Principal Name (SPN) could not be constructed
because the provided hostname is not in the necessary
format."

Under the DNS LOGS im getting event id 1000: the message is as follows: The DNS server could not open the file dns\cache.dns.Check that the file exists in the %Systemroot%\system32\dnsdirectory and that it contains valid data.

eventid:578i
Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are availiable.

These errors are the most repeated ones in the event viewer, there seems to be some form of dns problem, ive deleted the DNS files and recreated the but to no avail.Many thanks .

Hi there its me again i have a bit more info regarding the dns errors i have done a netdiag on the box and this is the error i get back please could someone look at this link and tell me whats going on please. the link below is a snapshot of the windows 2000 serveri have tried re-registering dns but to no avail. thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back