Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Mail Server Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchipman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
US
We're trying to decide on a new Mail Server to use (we're currently using Post.Office 3.2) for external and internal e-mail.

Our priorities are virus and spam filtering, followed by NT account integration, IMAP, SMTP Authentication, and Web Administration, and large number of mailing lists.

Does anyone have any good suggestions, preferably with usage experience?

When I read your post it sounded like you want Exchange.

I feel that virus and spam filtering is to be done by a third party software/hardware and not by your e-mail/groupware software.

We are currently running Exchange 2000 and looking at moving to First Class. My old office was a reseller and it works great... (my usage experience)

The only draw back is that First Class does not have NT intergration out of the box. I have heard with some tweeking that it does work, but not supported by tech support.

Our issues it the moble/remote users must access there mail through the web with exchange. (because of security issues)

First Class client is pure IP, so there is no secutiry loops holes. At this time there are no know virus are write for First Class and they have great support.

Its worth a look, it may just fit your companies needs????

Gook Luck on the search

Well, due to cost, we're not really interested in Exchange. The stupid client licenses really chap our hide..

Or MDaemon mail server. I use it for my site, and it's very reliable and feature packed. has more information. Unlimited user license for Pro version is only $1980 ($495 for standard), which isn't too bad considering the features it has. Doesn't support NT specifically, but has LDAP support, so NT should work OK. Let me know if this works OK for you. Good luck!

Darrell Mozingo

The only non-Exchange mail server which natively supports Active Directory is Kerio's mailserver. It also has an option to integrate with Macafee antivirus for mail scanning. It is cheap (30 users w/AV scanning under 1000.00) and, from what I can tell, reliable.

The website is
Jeffrey

Alt-n has a program called GroupWare that integrates w/MDaemon, and lets you use all of Outlook's advanced features (calanders, public folders, etc) w/o Exchange too.

Darrell Mozingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back