Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Locks up on ShutDown command 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya02

Technical User
Jun 19, 2000
US
Everytime I shut down Windows 2000 it goes almost all the way through and then locks up and just a blank screen and an arrow cursor.  I can't shut down with my power button and the PC doesn't shut down by itself as it is supposed to.  I am running a dual boot with NT 4.0 and Win2K on separate partitions.

Hi,<br><br>Enable the APM feature in the Power Options in Control Panel. I had a similar shutdown problem which was fixed by enabling the APM.

I too am experiencing the same shutdown problem as mentioned above. APM is enabled in BIOS (Asus P2B mainboard) and in control panel. <br>Any solutions would be greatly appreciated...<br><br>Brett

I had the same problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;It appeared to occur only if I installed drivers that did not specify win 2000 compatible.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it says win NT or win NT 4.0, that could cause your problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once I eliminated all those questionable drivers, the system works just fine.

Microsoft includes apmstat.exe in the support\tools directory of the Windows 2000 CD. It is installed by the setup program in that directory. If you don't want the Windows 2000 Support Tools installed as a group, it is part of the support.cab. APM (Advanced Power Management) does not work on my pc.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>apmstat -v <br><br>told me why.&nbsp;&nbsp;In my case, I had a dual cpu.<br><br>taken from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Hi, <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I had the same problem, I activated the APM and in my BIOS, I set it ENABLE, didn't work. <br><br>I re-installed W2K with the ACPI enabled in the BIOS, and now, it's perfect.. Sometime, if it's off when it's installing, even if you toggle the APM in W2K, it won't work..!!<br><br>Ben_Cool

I stumbled onto this issue when dealing with upgrading from a single processor kernal to a multi-processor kernal.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you do not have ACPI enabled in your Bios when you install WIN2k, it will NOT install the ACPI enabled kernal, and there is no way to change it (so I was told) without reinstalling.

I have started to experience this exact problem. Where can I find RegiClean?

I did locate regclean. Unfortunately, running it did not solve my problem. I also made sure that power management was enabled in both BIOS and Control Panel. Now I am at a loss and would welcome feedback.

I am running a dual boot system with Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 Professional. Shutdown works fine under Windows 98, and until recently it worked fine in Windows 2000. Now, when I select &quot;shutdown&quot; the system saves settings and says it is going to shut down. But then, instead of putting the monitor into standby mode and powering down the CPU, the system hangs with a black screen and a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner.

If I boot in Safe Mode, then shutdown does put the monitor into standby mode and it powers down the CPU. And it worked fine in Normal Mode until just recently. I am unable to think of what change I might have made to cause this.

I have a similar problem (not identical), so I won't clutter up this post with it. However, I would appreciate a tip on how to find regclean.

A Microsoft Engineer found my problem that caused Windows 2000 Professional to hang at shutdown with a black screen.
Windows Media Player 7 (recently installed) conflicts with adaptec Easy CD Creator and components (DirectCD, Take Two). See Article Number 000726-0003 at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back