Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 licensing server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blixa

MIS
Jun 25, 2001
SE
Hi!

We are thinking of upgrading our NT4 Terminal Servers with Metaframe 1.8 to Windows 2000 with MetaFrame 1.8 (or perhaps MetaFrame XP), but I could use some help in understanding how I should use the licensing server.

# If all my clients are Windows 2000 machines - do I still need a licensing server? I've read about the 90 day graceperiod before the temporary licenses start to expire .. But I'm not using temoporary licenses, right? Since all workstations already have a valid CAL .. do I have to do anything at all on the server?

I already have a working pilot installation - but I want to make sure that it still works after 90 days! Would be kinda uncool to upgrade all servers and then find out that everything suddenly stopped working! :)

Hi!

Do you need a TS licensing server?
Answer: Yes!

Do you need TSCALs?
Case: If you are running W2k server and w2k prof clients, then NO, no CALs needed (included in w2k professional).

With a W2k server and the client has any other OS than w2k prof/XP. you will need TACALs.

Hope to have helped!
//Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back