Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 keeps rebooting!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajrey

MIS
Feb 25, 2002
US
Hello everyone!! Im having a weird problem with a worlkstation running under windows 2000 Professional. From time to time the computer re-boots by itself. Is the second computer under the same user that keeps doing this. I checked it for virus but is clean. As a matter of fact is a new computer and the day after installed started doing this as the previous one. Could it be something regarding access to the Net work?

This is the only computer presenting this issue and like mentioned before is the second computer installed under this user with the same issue. I replaced, UPS, Energy breakers, wall outlet, you name it!!! Still re-booting from time to time.

Is there anything that any of you know that might be doing this?

FYI: The user logs into a Windows 2000 Server and uses documents in a Windows NT Server. Everyone else is the same as for accessing documents under the network.

Any ideas? Please this is getting kind of frustraiting.

Thnx in advance

Power and heat are the two biggest culprits. Is the workstation near a heat source or is it being blocked from getting good air circulation?

Sounds like you've attacked the power issue but have you considered whether there is some other power-hogging device on the same circuit as the workstation? I once had a laser printer that, from time to time, would print garbage while printing multi-page documents. After many hair-pulling instances I realized that a photocopier was sharing the same circuit (I thought they were on separate circuits). Once the printer was moved to another circuit, the problem never returned. Turns out that the photocopier was drawing so many amps it caused a power drain to the printer. The drop wasn't enough to affect the copier (most of the power was for heat) but it did affect the printer's ability to keep its memory refreshed.

Right-click "My Computer", go Properties, click "Advanced", then "Startup and Recover", uncheck "Automatically reboot".

Win2K defaults to automaticall rebooting when it gets a blue screen. Changing that setting means it'll show you the error now.
If it keeps rebooting on it's own after that, check for a short on your motherboard, and consider replacing your PSU.

Hope this helps!
Cerv

Bad hardware common cause - can be anything but RAM good to start with (process of elimination).

We are seeing the same problem at work on some IBM desktops. According to IBM, some of their motherboards have defective capacitors on them. You can easily see the defective capacitors because the top is bulged up. We have seen this on several models of Netvista's, all are still under their 3 year warranty. We call IBM and tell them that the capacitors have bulging tops and they send out a tech to replace the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back