Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newlyn

Programmer
Jul 9, 2001
US
I don't know if anyone's had this problem or knows how to get around it but when I run install in any way it has me choose partition and everything then copies files like it should. Then when it goes to reboot to continue installation it reboots and either gets no operating system or error loading operating system at boot and that's it I have looked for almost a week on how to get past this problem and cannot find any info about it anywhere. Anyway, thanks for any help anyone can give

Also, if anyone might be able to help and needs any info about the computer or any of that just post here. once again thanks for any help I receive =)

What type of machine is this? Specs?
Do you have multiple hard drives
If not is the hard drive set to default (not to master and not to slave just not jumped at all)?

Have you tried a different drive?

Is the drive partitioned?
Is the partition you are installing on the active partition?

These are just things I can think of off the top of my head. Could use some information about the system and possibly some answers to these questions and I will try to assist you further.

Ron Withers
Network Engineer

I had the same problem and I solved it by intalling win2k on a brand new partition. I think it has something to do with the MBR.
My guess would be to install win2k on a blank HDD, from my expreience, that's the easiest way to make it work, well it has worked this way over 10 times with le at least)

Jomac

Yes, there are known problems with existing O/S versions and an instsll depending on how the disk is partitioned. If you have had win2k on the disk previously and run dynamic disks, this can also confuse the o/s into thinking the new partition is also a dynamic one if it "upgrades" rather than installs. The cleanest install is acheived using a new disk or deleting current partitions from the drive during setup. If this is not possible then make sure the disk is OK by booting from DOS if this is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back